36 replies to this topic

#11 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

Being a Jeep guy I hate to suggest this but flat towing a Suzuki Samurai could work. They're cheap, not much bigger than an ATV and work great off road. They suck on the highway but they are street legal and can be unhooked and driven in tight spots.

#12 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

I thought about a Suzuki but also realized I seen very few on the road lately. I do remember the reviews were not all that great, I think safety was a big concern. Did they quit making them? Nice and small and not much bigger than a UTV and can be licensed and driven on the street. I probably wouldn't use it more than a few hours a day. Maybe I should rethink the whole situation. Now I'm wondering about leaving a UTV for a couple days ........ maybe that's not such a good idea.

Thanks.

#13 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

Anyone drop their second rig for more than a day? I'm thinkin maybe leaving a trailered ATV/UTV/Jeep/bike etc. may not be such a hot idea. I've been very luckily and never had anything stolen or vandalized but something like that might be asking for trouble?

#14 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Anyone drop their second rig for more than a day? I'm thinkin maybe leaving a trailered ATV/UTV/Jeep/bike etc. may not be such a hot idea. I've been very luckily and never had anything stolen or vandalized but something like that might be asking for trouble?

I wouldn't drop my atv trailer and leave it....even if it had a lock on the trailer ball. Some low life out there would figure out a way to steal it.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#15 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:09 AM

Hay guys, thanks for all the help and ideas. After pondering the question and seeking the advice of the old wise man on the mountain ............ and flipping a coin, I think I'm going to go with a Jeep. Maybe a older narrow width and shorter wheelbase C5. I'm thinking I'll start making camp at lower elevations and just head out in the ol Jeep. And if I want to do some wheeling around the Reno/Tahoe area I won't have to take that big diesel Ford with the pop-up. If I have to drop the Jeep for awhile I'm thinking it will be much less suspicious than a trailered ATV/UTV, where some low-down, scum-bag would see it and just think I'm close by, taking a stroll in the woods.

Kind of new to this Jeep thing, don't know much about them. I have noticed there are quite a few in the area. I was thinking maybe a older 6 cylinder 1980sh. Is the old 4 banger underpowered for today's highways? Someone was telling me that they changed the style in the late 80's because of that roll-over scare. Thought the older C5's was probably what I was looking for. Don't really want a hardtop, I'm more of a soft top guy. What is the best way to tow a Jeep, do I have to disconnect the drive shaft?

Sorry for all the questions, maybe some of you Jeepsters can help me out.

Thanks,

Funstini

#16 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

The narrow jeep would be the CJ series. In 85 or 86 the wider Wrangler was introduced (square headlights).
As for engines I prefer the V8 because I like chasing camels through the dunes but the V6 and straight 6 are also good choices for the trail and street. Craig will probably disagree with me but I think the 4 banger just doesn't do it on the highway.
I have flat towed my Jeep for 35 years without any problems. On pre 71 Jeeps with the Dana 18 transfercase (TC) you just put the TC in neutral and go for it. If you have the Dana 20 TC you need to engage the front hubs with the TC in neutral. I have heard that the Dana 300 TC needs to have the rear driveshaft disconnected but I'm not sure of that. I think the Dana 300 was introduced in the early 80s.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#17 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Going to a Jeep is an excellent choice. Unlike my ATV, you can drive your Jeep anywhere you want as it is street legal and still go off road anywhere you want!! National Parks like Death Valley come to mind. You can take your Jeep on the back trails but they will not allow an ATV or unlicensed vehicle.

Camelracer has a gorgeous Jeep!! I love Willys and wanted one all my life. I've had 1 YJ and 2 TJ's. I will probably get another soon!!! But it will have to be a TJ!!! You can get a nice used one for less than a new ATV!!! A 4.0 straight 6 has adequate power and an auto makes for easier crawling, IMHO. A TJ has coil springs which ride nicer and the first model you actually sit directly behind the steering wheel!!! The AC is another clencher for me!!!

Try to find one that all ready has a quality lift and that will save a bunch of money!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:58 AM

The narrow jeep would be the CJ series. In 85 or 86 the wider Wrangler was introduced (square headlights).
As for engines I prefer the V8 because I like chasing camels through the dunes but the V6 and straight 6 are also good choices for the trail and street. Craig will probably disagree with me but I think the 4 banger just doesn't do it on the highway.
I have flat towed my Jeep for 35 years without any problems. On pre 71 Jeeps with the Dana 18 transfercase (TC) you just put the TC in neutral and go for it. If you have the Dana 20 TC you need to engage the front hubs with the TC in neutral. I have heard that the Dana 300 TC needs to have the rear driveshaft disconnected but I'm not sure of that. I think the Dana 300 was introduced in the early 80s.

I don't disagree at all. My Jeep is not suited for the freeway even with the overdrive. I have the warn full floater kit (hubs in the rear) so towing is easy for me. I've heard differing things with the D18. I used to disconnect the driveshaft for long tows, just pop it into neutral for shorter tows. Being street legal does have some serious advantages.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

OK .... thinkin this over, I ended up getting a 86 CJ5 Jeep, inline 6, and 5 speed. I figured this is probably the way to go, a little larger, a little heavier, but no trailer, it's street legal, someone sees the jeep or camper parked on the side of the road ...... they're thinking, "he's hiking and due back any minute". So now I just make camp and hop in the Jeep and off I go ...... back road or paved road.

Now I open the "can of worms". I thought, I could just flat tow it, put the trans and transfer case in neutral, make sure hubs are turned out, hook up the lights and tow bar, and it's "on the road baby". Now in searching the Internet I'm getting all sorts of horror stories. Don't "flat tow", disconnect the drive lines, only trailer it. So, I value your opinions. What's your thought's? "Life is not easy here in the West".

Thanks,

Funstini

#20 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have no experience with towing a jeep, but here are a couple pictures I have saved from customers that have sent pics in of their set ups.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3550 (2).JPG
  • 8888888.jpg
  • trailer with jeep.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users