31 replies to this topic

#11 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

I like the open concept, You don't miss the storage? My jack is like yours. Did you replace seals in it? Its obvious that a properly acting hydraulic/jack system would make life easier.

#12 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

I like the open concept, You don't miss the storage? My jack is like yours. Did you replace seals in it? Its obvious that a properly acting hydraulic/jack system would make life easier.

The jack doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere so I figure it's best to leave it alone until such time as it starts leaking.

As to the storage issue, Between the hooks I have installed overhead and on the aft bulkhead, storage is not a problem. I have found that I really don't need as much clothing and gear as I thought I would. I have a cloth backpack (from Europe Through The Back Door), for clothes storage which is light weight and flexible. As I previously mentioned, We store sleeping bags, pillows and night time gear in the truck cab during the day. Over time, you will work out your own system of shuffling your gear around, be it to the truck cab or in the cab over bunk area.

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#13 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

I don't understand the need for an additional valve in the hydraulic system. You mention there is a tank. Is this some type of fluid reserve tank? My system has the jack, copper lines and jacks. No tank.

Hi Mike and Colo, my jack/pump must be different to yours so I added some pics for you
Cheers. Kevin.

#14 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

Your camper looks like is in good shape Kevin. Interesting configuration. Looks like a chest of drawers on the right. I joined yahoo to see your project Mike. Nice job. You've been around Alaskans awhile it seems. Your suggestion to retrieve and archive Alaskan paper brochures, instructions, plans is a good one. Would be nice to see the orig. architectural/engineering drwgs. but they are probably still under lock & key. I had 1 piece of oiled jacking instructions that came with mine.

I have run into a snag with my aluminum rear gutter/trim. It's the hardened alu with the 3/16" round gutter bead. Covers the roof siding and the rear vertical siding joint. My piece has been beat up pretty good. I took it off and tried to straighten with pliers. The pliers scratched the alu and didn't do much bending back. Any ideas? Posted Image

#15 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

Hi Colo, I have not got an answer for your gutter problem but I am adding some pics of Alaskan care and operating instructions that were in my Alaskan. Mine by the way is a 72 built in Calgary Alberta. I am also posting a link to a rebuild that you might find interesting
cheers,
Kevin
http://expeditionpor...ead.php?t=26842

Attached Thumbnails

• tmpphp8kC16L.jpg
  • tmpphpVLatkr.jpg
  • tmpphpjLVEfZ.jpg

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#16 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

With regard to the rear gutter issue, aI would give Bryan a call at Alaskan Campers.

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#17 WILSON

WILSON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Colo,
We have a 1966 10' non cabover Alaskan Camper that is in poor shape, but has some fair to good parts. I think the refrigerator is good, and is convertible gas/electric. If you are interested in any of the parts, we are hoping to give away as much as possible. We think it's too much for us to restore, time wise.
Highriser

#18 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

Thanks Highriser. I might ask where you are located?

#19 WILSON

WILSON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Thanks Highriser. I might ask where you are located?

We are in Redmond, Washington.

#20 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hi Colo, I have not got an answer for your gutter problem but I am adding some pics of Alaskan care and operating instructions that were in my Alaskan. Mine by the way is a 72 built in Calgary Alberta. I am also posting a link to a rebuild that you might find interesting
cheers,
Kevin
http://expeditionpor...ead.php?t=26842

Thanks for the "camper instructions" Kevin. Having old paper like that adds to the fun of working on it. Talk about work. The craftsman whose link you sent (Keeno) "Knows Alaskans." My rebuild is cosmetic only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users