16 replies to this topic

#11 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Looks like beautiful country...and you've got some pretty happy dogs riding along too...thanks.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#12 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Interesting, Barko-

Hoping to get out there again, soon...

You're pickin' me up purty good.

#13 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:20 AM

Your pictures bring back great memories. Can't wait to get back. If you get tired of roughing it and need to lighten up on the cash supply try The Antlers for dinner.

Where is Antlers? I am not above some good dining when all camping dirty. What I often do is go the the best lodge in the National Park and have breakfast, Zion, Glacier, Grand Canyon. Enjoy the lodge for cheap :D .

On to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge http://en.wikipedia....de_Gorge_Bridge This bridge was in Natural Born Killers and Wild Hogs! It is a cool bridge in a great setting. I love coming towards Taos from the South, mountains, high desert, the Gorge all together. If you come through Taos a good place to eat is Michael's Kitchen on the main drag, North end of town.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
After checking out the bridge we headed North to the Rio Grande Gorge Recreation area a bit past Questa, it is a BLM area with several campgrounds along the edge of the gorge. Pretty basic, not very populated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The confluence with the Red River.
Posted Image
And heading North again we leave NM and get into CO and the next time we hit the river it has just left the Gorge and has changed character again. This is on CO142 South of Alamosa on the Southern edge of the San Luis Valley http://en.wikipedia....San_Luis_Valley The valley is rich with water so the front range/Colorado Springs wants to pipe it over the mountains, bit of conflict here. Back in the truck, maybe I need some more space?
Posted Image
Here the gorge has died out, first chance for early settlers to cross
Posted Image
Posted Image
Next the river heads into the mountains and its' origins.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:49 AM

Great stuff, Barko! Really cool to see a trip report unfold more-or-less as it happens Posted Image.
Thanks.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Very nice report Barko. I like the theme of fallowing the river. You've given me some ideas.

mike

#16 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Enjoyed reading your report, Barko. I have a few new spots along the Rio Grande to go see. Posted Image

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#17 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

Once you get to Southfork on US160 you are up to 8000' and the river is looking a bit tastier :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
A little exploration, truck goes 10 mph, bike ........
Posted Image
There is a nice elk down there
Posted Image
Forest rat
Posted Image
Now we are getting to the start of the river. This is at the Lost Trail FS campground. No fee, only one other of the 6 sites was occupied, no water, pit toilet, beautiful views, frost in the AM.
Posted Image
My doggies loved it, the brown guy, he's the hunter. Chased three deer, keeps them on their toes, he finds his way back to camp after about 20 minutes, very happy guy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Heading back down you come to the Rio Grande Reservoir, note the fog hanging over it, very cold that morning.
Posted Image
We never made it to the absolute source. Came to a big pond over the road, the ATV made it and I probably would have on the bike but the consequences of killing the bike were to big for me so we headed back. I took the F250 and Grandby over Stony Pass before but not a lot of fun.
Posted Image
Pole Creek on the way up to the top of the river basin, gets too deep in the Spring.
Posted Image
Bad picture, I was driving solo here and a bit busy but you can see how tight the road is, tough when you meet any traffic. I was of course the only truck camper around :lol:
Posted Image

Once we got as far as we did we enjoyed the environment and headed back towards home.
This is a spot on FR725 just off US160. Beautiful waterfalls right there and a great view of a large falls across the highway.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was a great week long trip, used the dutch oven for the 1st time and tested out the new Coleman/Stirling Fridge and Wave 3 heater as well as the 60w of solar on the roof. Batteries stayed full, food stayed at 37 and the heater kept things warm. Since the Rio runs right past our home and stretches to an area I love it was a natural to follow it to the source. Plus it has such a rich history, culturally, socially, geologically, it was really cool. I'm sure there are other great rivers out there, the Mississippi comes to mind :D , the Missouri, the John Day is pretty nice too!

Next stop, Newfoundland/Labrador :P
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users