20 replies to this topic

#11 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

as Simimike's casually alluded to.....rallies that involve XPMarc(Gandalph the Grey)are the best to attend because you not only have a professional chef at your disposal but you don't even have to worry about the trash you generate. The XP has so much storage that Marc probably still hasn't discovered all the trash that he has been luggin around since the Warner's :)

Cort

#12 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

If you are camping where you have bear problems, like Yosemite, please use the bear proof bear storage units provided. All good ideas everyone, just remember, a fed bear, is a dead bear. Once they get a taste of human garbage, they become habituated to people food, and they can become unafraid. Keeping everything clean and picked up is the proper way to camp. You never want to leave your trash unattended, that is an invitation for problems. Keep'em wild and welcome.
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,375 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

If you are camping where you have bear problems, like Yosemite, please use the bear proof bear storage units provided. All good ideas everyone, just remember, a fed bear, is a dead bear. Once they get a taste of human garbage, they become habituated to people food, and they can become unafraid. Keeping everything clean and picked up is the proper way to camp. You never want to leave your trash unattended, that is an invitation for problems. Keep'em wild and welcome.

Well said Skeeter.......an idiot was just responsible for a bear here getting the death sentence. Cooler left outside, then he wanted to fight the bear for it to get it back. It took 26 stitches to button up the guy's face. The idiot should have been cited. He wasn't. People thought he had paid enough of a price. I don't think so. Oh, he fired his 45 in a crowded campground before the bear swatted it away. Didn't hit the bear. Yes, I think he should have been cited for firing a weapon inside a campground too..

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

holy smokes! he pulled out the pistole' , got off one round, and missed after presenting bait?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#15 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

Gave the wrong one the death sentance. :angry:

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Perhaps the "Trasharoo" has an application here? I don't know that I'd want it hanging against the back of the camper, but if there is other structure that it could be hung on then it might be viable.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Perhaps the "Trasharoo" has an application here? I don't know that I'd want it hanging against the back of the camper, but if there is other structure that it could be hung on then it might be viable.

The "trasharoo" seems like a solution in search of a problem to me...
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#18 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Gave the wrong one the death sentance. :angry:

I agree. The Gene pool would be better with his removal.

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

The "trasharoo" seems like a solution in search of a problem to me...

Enough of those with swing-away spare tire carriers (Jeeps, etc.) have bought them for the design to be on it's second generation. I just didn't know if it were adaptable here or not.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:51 AM

I have a trasharoo on my Jeep. Love it. Since I cook outside I clean outside too.

Cans are better than bottles for traveling, but until they start canning my favorite brews, I'll just deal with the trash. For a week, weekender I never find trash to be a problem.

Been camping my whole life and really, bears have never been a problem. If you're in a campground with bear boxes you absolutely have to use them. Keep a clean camp, yes, but you don't have to go overboard. Ammonia is definitely overboard. Realize if a bear wants in your food it will, just consider it a donation to the wildlife. Plastic containers not only keep odors down, make organization a lot nicer, but they'll keep your real food thieves away--the chipmunks, squirrels, birds, bees, ants etc. Thats what you really need to watch out for. They don't care if you're sitting six feet away, if you aren't watching they'r enjoying the buffet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users