#1 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

While not your typical WTW trip report, figured this would make a good introduction for anyone that did not see the exchange in Marc's used camper thread last month.

I'm training for the Whitney mountaineering route next month and my "new" ATC has provided superb trail head accommodations on my last two training hikes. Guess where I got those handy leveling blocks B)
Posted Image

This past weekend was my third and final training run and promised to be the most challenging.
Posted Image

Mount San Gorgonio sits at just over 11500', 7th tallest in the states if you can believe that! We planned to camp on the summit after the 8-9 mile climb totally nearly 6000 vertical feet up the Vivian Creek trail.
Posted Image

Lots of flowing water, beautiful flowers and untouched wilderness.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last few miles were pretty challenging as we neared the summit and our new digs for the evening.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunset was incredible as you would expect and we hunkered down for what was left of the Perseids meteor shower that night.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My legs are still sore, but I've got perma-grin from one incredible weekend. :D

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Fantastic pics from the top...beautiful. Nice to see the camper being put to use, sweet set up!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Mount San Gorgonio is a worthy mountain and you will enjoy the Mountaineers Route on Whitney. Good for you and put that FWC to work!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:28 AM

Mount San Gorgonio is a worthy mountain and you will enjoy the Mountaineers Route on Whitney. Good for you and put that FWC to work!

Mark, cool to see you out and about with your new rig, enjoy..
Ski, gotta let U know that its not a four wheel camper but is in fact my old ATC Cougar

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Ski, gotta let U know that its not a four wheel camper but is in fact my old ATC Cougar

Sorry for missing that detail, thanks for correcting me.............

Mark, great to see you putting that tough ATC to such good use! Keep wandering!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the mountain photos!

I'm happy to see there are other mountaineers with ATCs and FWCs. Do you plan a one day accent or will you have a basecamp on Whitney?

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

While not your typical WTW trip report, figured this would make a good introduction for anyone that did not see the exchange in Marc's used camper thread last month.

I'm training for the Whitney mountaineering route next month and my "new" ATC has provided superb trail head accommodations on my last two training hikes. Guess where I got those handy leveling blocks B)

This is the majority of the action my rig gets as opposed to a dedicated off road trip with it. I bought it for some road trips but mainly as a convenient trailhead/basecamp rig for snowboarding, hiking/climbing, and hunting, etc.

Good deal, we put in for permits last year and were going to meet up with some socal friends for the climb but didn't get pulled. I have a newborn this year so those trips are on hold for shorter/local trips currently.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the mountain photos!

Do you plan a one day accent or will you have a basecamp on Whitney?

Hey Stew,
We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed B)

This is the majority of the action my rig gets as opposed to a dedicated off road trip with it. I bought it for some road trips but mainly as a convenient trailhead/basecamp rig for snowboarding, hiking/climbing, and hunting, etc.

Nice, snowboarding is one of my true passions and I'm excited about the coming winter in my new rig. Always up for some resort or BC riding if anyone is in the Eastern Sierra this winter.

-Mark

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hey Stew,
We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed Posted Image

-Mark

Two years ago did a 9 day backpack around Whitney and did Russell. If you have time when finished with Whitney and a extra day from Upper Boy Scout lake...do Russell.
http://vehicle.berke...ey/russell.html

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed B)

Hey Mark,

I've camped at Upper BS Lake once (for Russell) and farther up at Iceberg Lake three times (for Whitney). I've never been up the Mountaineers Route but I have come down it twice--without 'pons or an ax. There was some black ice but we worked our way around it both times.

You might check with the rangers for info on conditions in the gulley to consider what tools you might want along. :)

I've needed permits for Whitney three or four times and have always been able to get them during the week. Be first in line at the ranger station at 6 am to be sure!

Good luck and good climbing.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users