• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:30 AM

I have yet to figure out how to down load my pictures, but I wanted to let Dirty Dog know about a place we went last weekend as I know he likes mining history. We went to a place over by Ely, Nevada that I am not sure he has been to yet. It is Belmont Mill, not the ghost town of Belmont. I have attached a link for you to look at below. Down on the valley floor is where the mill is. About 2.5 miles up the side of the mountain around 9k ft is the mine remains and structures. It is very interesting. I actually drove up there and was going to camp, but it started to rain, lightning and thunder. My wife got a bit scared as it was indeed a little creepy up there with the decayed buildings and the fact we were 9k ft up on the side of a mountain. There is also another area called Hamilton right near it and other mining remains in the area. An interesting place to check out. I was planning to look the place over the next day, but I ended up driving out at night. My wife is happier.

http://www.robertwynn.com/BelMine.htm

If you look up this link, you can get an idea of what the place is all about. The road doesn't really lend itself to campers, but I went anyway. You can see what I mean of the road in one of the pictures.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

I've seen the signs for that but have never been. Do you think it's worth the trip? Also interested in what you discovered nearby.

#3 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hi Dirty Dog: The whole area may be of interest to you. Tonight while I am watching TV, I will put the info. together. There is some interesting stuff and some if its pretty intact. But, some is very remote. For example, going up the hill to the mine I was in compound low going about a mile an hour and there was two places where the camper tips to the right pretty good towards a cliff. Also, some of my friends think I'm nuts to go to these places with just my wife so I suggest you go at least with one of your camper buddies. I probably should reconsider some of my great ideas?

Overall the trip was fun. But, I did not get to see what I was intending.

Darryl

#4 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

For those who have not explored the area around Ely, NV there is actually lots see. Taking Hwy 50 into Eureka on the way to Ely there are a couple of places to see just as you are leaving town (Prospect and Vanderbuilt). Its a little drive out of town on a gavel road. You can see some old mill stuff and hsg. Belmont Mine area is a little west of Eureka. At Hamilton which is right by Belmont Mine, you can go up the hill and see a lot of mine diggings. But, you may be better off riding an ATV. The Belmont Mine and Mill is pretty intact as I said earlier. Is it worth a trip? If you are planning to go that way I would check them out. But, I would wait for it to be a little cooler. If you have not checked out Great Basin, there is lot sto see there. It is free to get in, $12.00 to camp at the 3 finished campgrounds and there is a pretty interesting cave if you like cave exploring. Also, you can camp at 10k feet and have a great view of the top of the glacier. For hikers, this place is great.

Like most of Nevada, you have to get off the main road and just explore. But, being in the middle of no where can be creepy and possibly unsafe as a friend of mine keeps telling me. I suggest you go with someone else.

Darryl

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

Lol, taking my dog for a walk around the block is creepy and unsafe. A woman was murdered this weekend a few blocks from me. I feel much safer when I'm out in the boonies.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

For those who have not explored the area around Ely, NV there is actually lots see. Belmont Mine area is a little west of Eureka. At Hamilton which is right by Belmont Mine, you can go up the hill and see a lot of mine diggings. But, you may be better off riding an ATV. The Belmont Mine and Mill is pretty intact as I said earlier.
Darryl

We went to Hamilton in the early 90s. I believe the area on the top of the hill is the town of Treasure City (as noted in Broman's Nevada Ghost Town Trails book). You are right, it was quite a climb to the top. When we were there, remains of the Wells Fargo building were still standing. In fact, we set up camp in the lee of the building, as it was very windy. Explored all of the foundations the next morning. What I always remember was the great number of wine bottles and oyster shells that littered the area. This was in the pre-digital age, but my wife thinks we might have a scanned picture from our trip. If we can find it, I'll post it. We thoroughly enjoyed that area of Nevada.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users