• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

I have been reading this forum like mad the last week or so and am getting more anxious then ever to hit the rosd. I have graduated from traveling in a VW camper for the last 13 years to getting a 2004 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and plan to get a Hawk from FWC.

My question is in what I need to do to the truck. Being a girl(which is no excuse, but I'm not as up on suspension as some of the guys might be!!) I am confused about 2 things. I went to the tire place to price the load range "E" tires and he could not find anyone who makes them in a 265 70 R16. Only 265 75 R16. He will not put the 75's on my truck because Toyota says max size is 70... He can get me a "D" load in my size though.. Would the "D" load work or is it OK to go to the 75's??

I also plan to use the hellwig springs.. I have no clue what shocks are on the truck. I am afraid of the air bags cause of leakage and not having air with me. Should that be sufficient to start out with? I know no one can tell me what I will be comfortable with, but I am having a hard time finding a place to start. I live in Florida and am not finding many folks around here to answer my questions...

I have already learned a ton from reading all the message boards on here, so I am really hoping someone could help me out.

Also my truck had the trd off road package if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

There are Tundra owners here that will be able to tell you what they use but I'm pretty certain you can get an E rated tire for your Tundra. If you are never going to take the camper off (or very rarely), new springs are better but if you plan on taking the camper off and using the truck as a daily driver, you'd be better off with the airbags. The airbags don't leak much and even if they do its not a life or death situation. A small 12v air compressor isn't very expensive and can be used to air up your bags if you need to. As for shocks - I'd go with some aftermarket gas shocks as they aren't very expensive and they will improve the ride with the camper a fair amount.

#3 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thanks DD for the quick response.

I see most folks are using Bilstein 5100's for the shocks. Would I put them front and back??

I will have the camper on for the summers for traveling(6-7 months) and off most of the winter for being home(5-6 months, with the occasional weekend trip). I guess that is why I am more leaning towards the Hellwig springs, but still really not sure which is best for my situation.

Does anyone run their Tundra "stock" with a FWC/ATC on it?

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

Yeah you'd use the shocks front and back. I know this is all new and somewhat confusing, but airbags really aren't something to be afraid of.

#5 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

I just looked at some pictures of the Ride Rites mounted and they do look nice and not as scary!!

I guess that part is figured out... Now if someone could help with the tire question...

Thanks

#6 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

welcome.

I think you should try another tire place. Often they sell what they have, if they don't have what you need...

#7 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

It was a Firestone I went to. He said someplace would sell me "E" range tires at 265 75 r16, but since my trucks specs are for 265 70 r16 he would not. He said going from 70 to 75 would change the stability and handling of the truck.
I was not exactly sure what difference going from 70 to 75 would make, so I thought I would ask in here. I don't want to cause a rollover or nothing!!

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:54 AM

Hi RG,

Welcome to the forum. My very first vehicle was a vw camper, so I feel related to you. :)
We have a 2000 Tundra, so the specs may be different, but we run BF Goodrich All Terrain 265 75 R16's and wouldn't buy anything else. There is no problem as far as rubbing or anything like that. To go with a larger size may cause such problems. You may want to check out a website called Tundra Solutions as well (sorry DD, but I did just put a similar message directing someone to WTW on ExPo). There are literally thousands of people on that website that have done every modification possible to Tundras. They could tell you for sure.

Being a girl

You are right. That is no excuse and nothing to be excused for. My wife has taken our camper out solo when she wants to do a trip and I can't join her. Get out and enjoy!

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

I have to second the ease of air bags, I carry both a small 12V compressor and a floor style bike pump and use the bike pump most of the time. Best of luck on your camper search.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thanks so much for the replies.

@Magellan: I didn't think that the 75's would make a huge difference, but I was not sure. Heck, I'm not even sure how much of a difference there is between 70's and 75's. I would go out there alone, but I just am not as knowledgable on car type stuff.

Any Tundra owners out there???? What tires do you have?? ( mine is a '04 access cab)

Randygirl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users