17 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

When I can't actually 'Wander' down to one of my favorite areas, I check out the live video camera at the Barcroft installation -- at 12,000' -- of the White Mountain Research Station, run by the University of California.

Usually nothing too exciting going on within the view, like now:
WMRS20100911.JPG
...but I find it interesting to check out anyway. The anemometer of the weather station is visible, and the propeller is usually whizzing around. When it's really windy the camera shakes.
Sometimes in winter (when the camera is working) you can watch fierce blizzards blowing up there. I frequently see animal tracks in the snow. Here's what it looked like one day this past winter:
WhiteMt.Station.JPG
There's a light on all night, and once or twice I've seen nocturnal critters running around.
Sometimes humans can be observed in the daytime. :D

The page seems to work best, most fully-functional, with Internet Explorer (better than Chrome, for example). It may ask your permission to install some kind of active-x add-on, and if so it's safe (and necessary) to say "yes". In the upper left of the screen is a control called "Video Profile", and I find MPEG4/VGA is best. Most of the other controls (like to aim the camera in different directions) are for the real users of the camera and are password protected.

Anyway...something to look at when at a computer.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,396 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

Mark, one of our favorite places also. Thanks for the link to the cam. We will use it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

I wonder if any of the Rocky Mts guys know of any similar high-mt cams in their necks of the woods...??? MT, ID, CO, WY, NM?
I'm know there are various ski-area cams -- like there are at Mammoth and Tahoe, etc. in the Sierras, but I'd be interested in seeing cams -- video or still -- in less-populated/less-commercial areas in the Rockies.

Another favorite of mine (still photos, not live video) is in a very-western location -- the summit of Mauna Kea, associated with the astro-observatories up there. The time-lapse movies of each day are really cool...seeing the stars or clouds swirling around.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm, I didnt have to install anything to view it. Thanks for the link.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Looking rather brisk this morning at the 12,000' Barcroft Lab: http://63.198.242.102/

I could see fiercely-blowing snow in the live video...

Attached Thumbnails

• WMRS_20101120-01.jpg

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

Just recently discovered that the WMRS Barcroft Lab also has a camera trained on 14,250' White Mountain Peak. It's a still photo (not sure how frequently it renews), not live video, and it's relatively low quality...but I still like seeing nearly-live images of cool places.

They also have a still image of their solar panels...not too exciting, but it's there.

Both of these are among links on the WMRS Weather Page, which includes links to weather on a couple other USA peaks.

#7 jc8654

jc8654

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hey guys,
Unfortunately due to very limited bandwidth to the research station up at Barcroft we've had to limit viewing the live view of these cameras to the researchers who use them. The camera are managed by the UCSB Experimental Cosmology Group primarily to keep an eye on their equipment up there.

In the mean time, you can still see the picture views of the cameras on their website - http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/. The direct link to the camera page is from the left hand side of this page - http://www.deepspace....edu/wmrs.html. You can also see archive camera data etc here which is pretty nice to see sunrises from day to day etc. I would post all the links to these pages here but there's going to be a new website launching fairly soon so everything will change. The live images are updated every 10 minutes (5, 15, 25 minutes etc. past) and the archive is also every 10 minutes (0, 10, 20 etc.) but only updates hourly.

These images should in theory sync to the WMRS site although there's currently an issue I'm working on fixing with that.

Anyway, hopefully in the next year or two there will be a faster bandwidth link out to the site which will mean we can allow the public to watch these cameras live again.

Thanks.

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Hey guys,
Unfortunately due to very limited bandwidth to the research station up at Barcroft we've had to limit viewing the live view of these cameras to the researchers who use them. The camera are managed by the UCSB Experimental Cosmology Group primarily to keep an eye on their equipment up there.

Busted! Posted Image

Maybe if I'd kept my mouth shut and not spread the word I'd still be able to see this great live view...

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,609 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Busted! Posted Image

Maybe if I'd kept my mouth shut and not spread the word I'd still be able to see this great live view...

OK...though it's not streaming live video, there are nice, frequently-updated, still-cam images at the link jc8654 supplied above:
http://www.deepspace...b.edu/wmrs.html

I'll stop whining... Posted Image

#10 jc8654

jc8654

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

OK...though it's not streaming live video, there are nice, frequently-updated, still-cam images at the link jc8654 supplied above:
http://www.deepspace...b.edu/wmrs.html

I'll stop whining... Posted Image

Lol! We're not trying to not let you see what's going on up there but as I say, we do have VERY limited bandwidth internet wise up there so we want to maintain that for legitimate use rather than the public just wanting to see the view.

The link I gave is on a server in Santa Barbara so causes no problem for us. If the images stop updating, the chances are the internet link has gone down up the mountain anyway so you wouldn't be able to see anything. You can also look back at previous images etc. in the archive which can be pretty useful and as I say, there are usually some pretty nice pictures around sunrise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users