• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

WhooHoo... Great follow up story.  Always a great feeling when your investments turn out good!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#52 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:22 AM

WhooHoo... Great follow up story.  Always a great feeling when your investments turn out good!

Yes, thank you for the update! And, congrats on your new home. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#53 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:34 AM

ATC -> Built to Survive! A great company, building great campers!

Thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering if we had lost you, love to see a link to some of your recent photography.

I am haunted by waters

#54 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

10 years sure can go fast. Sounds like the ATC has held up well.

Thanks for the update. 

Bill

#55 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:40 AM

Well bummer…

I am taking the camper off tomorrow and not sure when it will go back on, might not ever on this truck. 

In going over my truck to get it ready to do some much needed maintenance today, I found some new rust on the frame. Then I looked all over and found it in really bad shape. In doing a search on it I felt sick to my stomach to learn that I *just* missed the cutoff to have the frame replaced under a class action suit that made Toyota recall model years 2005-2010 due to frame rot. 

So far they are not going to help so I am writing letters and escalating it since I had some pretty poor luck last year that saw me missing this whole thing. I may even have to get a lawyer because we just don’t have the money for a new truck right now, especially making it work the way I need it to for working out of the camper. Used 2011-2014’s seem to go for $15-$22K depending on miles, etc and we just bought a new car in the Fall so I am not sure what we can swing. 

I am sick over this, I had planned on seeing this truck go for another 100-200K, the powertrain is just incredible with this camper on it, nearly impossible to duplicate with a stock Tacoma of any year. 

Speechless and really bummed right now, this is our second home darn it…

Attached Thumbnails

• Frame_1.jpg

Edited by Kodachrome, 25 April 2019 - 04:42 AM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#56 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

oh man, that really sucks.  Good luck with the escalation process.  In what sense did you miss the recall... too late to bring it in, or not the right build date?

#57 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

"may even have to get a lawyer "
I suggest you do that. My understanding is it was not a recall, rather a settlement wherein Toyota agreed to replace rusted frames, but based on their opinion if it needs it. There are rules about opting out of the settlement so you retain the right to file suit, and I would find out about that.tacomaworld.Com has posts from guys that have been in the battle.

#58 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Yes, quite a bit of info on tacomaworld.com. The class suit was settled in 2016 which gave 12 years from date of first service of the vehicle to file a claim. For a 2005 that would be 2017. You are probably out of luck but it is worth trying. Good luck.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#59 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

I’m well aware....now.

I am trying to work with both the dealer and corporate on it, just to get even a discount on what would likely be a $12-$16K repair. I took the camper off this AM in record time, I’ll do some maintenance on it while the rig is down.

Either way I am out my work setup and probably a bunch of money.

"may even have to get a lawyer "
I suggest you do that. My understanding is it was not a recall, rather a settlement wherein Toyota agreed to replace rusted frames, but based on their opinion if it needs it. There are rules about opting out of the settlement so you retain the right to file suit, and I would find out about that.tacomaworld.Com has posts from guys that have been in the battle.

Instagram

#60 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:10 AM

Update. I have done a ton of research and 4 test drives of the new Tacoma. I have also run out of options in terms of getting Toyota to help out in any way at all in replacing the frame or even discounting it. 

It really came down to a choice of either spending upwards of $18K in getting a new frame and associated costs on the 2005 or just putting that money towards a new truck. So I am keeping the 05 as a project truck to maybe create my next overlanding platform or just dirty duty and will be getting a 2019 Tacoma by August. I should have most of the camper work done and will of course be putting money right away into the suspension and likely a 91 performance ECU tune from OVtune after the break in period. 

It's a really frustrating thing for sure since the truck is really otherwise perfect for the camper and could be again. But for now, it is what it is and I have to get things rolling again!

Watch this space, it will keep on "trucking".

Edited by Kodachrome, 07 May 2019 - 03:11 AM.

Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users