9 replies to this topic

#1 Nosmo

Nosmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJune Lake, California

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

I'll be ordering an Eagle soon for my Toyota Tacoma.

Is there enything I should address or watch out for in my options choice to improve ease of winterising for use or storage at June Lake, California, 7,500 feet up in the Sierra Nevada?

Cheers

Nosmo

#2 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

not sure about winterizing...probably drain all the fluid from water tanks, maybe disconnect propane? ask FWC or give ATC a call otherwise i am sure someone will chime in soon...be sure to post some pics when you get the camper!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

You'll definately want to insulate the water pump. Mine froze and was ruined the first winter I had the camper. Search for water pump insulation or winterization and you should find a couple discussions about it here on the board.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:12 PM

Doesnt freeze where I'm at, but I'd think you probably want to get an air compressor and slightly pressure the tank to make sure you get all the water out. Or put in some non toxic antifreeze.

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:59 AM

Do not pressurize your water tank. It is all plastic fitting and hose clamps holding everything. Very low pressure to say the least. Too much pressure and you are going to be fixing things. If you are going to store the camper for the winter or use it very little, drain your tank and water lines. Put in some anti freeze for water tanks that you can buy from any camper store. This should keep you safe through the winter. Other than your water lines, there really is nothing else in the camper that I have heard about over the years that will cause you problems.

Keep up the regular routine of popping it up every couple of months to let it air out. Check with FWC about the liner material that they are using now and if the 303 product with work with it. I am not sure of the material that they are now using.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

FWC for some time put the electric water pump under the sink. The water tube went up then down to the pump and up to the sink faucet. This made a loop in the line and the pump always had water to it so as not to burn it up by not pumping water. This also made the pump freeze in the winter.

If you have this set up and storing in freezing conditions, you should drain the tank from the out side with the faucet open and then take the inlet hose off the pump and drain the water out of the pump.

Other than that there is no worries other than what Ben said about the liner.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

how would we get to the pump? what are the steps? i assume panels must be removed?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:32 AM

I would be talking about this one from the FWC web page. It is there in plan site on the Ranger, Eagle and older ones under the sink storage. The new Hawk and Kestrel seemed to be above the tank but still lower than the faucet and hidden behind the foward panneling. It is a on-demand ShureFlo that can run dry and produce ~45psi and ~1 gallon per minuite flow. The fittings are band wraped and the lines are heavy duty. They have a fitting that you can hook up a water hose that bypasses the tank and supplies water and tap pressure so no need to run the pump. It is suggested to put on a 45psi regulater.

Attached Thumbnails

• Elect_Water_Pump.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

Yeah, ben, I always hesitate when I recommend something like that. Never know what someone might do. My thought was just a psi or two would be enough to blow the water out of the lines.

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:26 AM

Craig,

I could just see someone putting about 125 psi on the tank and having to fix some things. Just one or two would work fine though.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users