• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:18 AM

I have the ExpeditionAire, made by ExtremeAire. It is an expensive setup, but I like having the dual compressors.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/

http://www.sierraexp...ct_detail&p=479
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#12 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

Well I went ahead and got the LTX/MS2 and a 4 wheel alignment. First impressions are they are very quiet and smooth, seem
to track and corner very well (I'm sure the alignment helped) and come with a 70,000 mile warranty. We'll see about the mileage.
I've never got much over 40k on any tire in my life. Off road and mud and snow impressions will have to wait.

Dave or other Wanders, I was wondering what you use or would recommend for on board air? After this past week this would seem
to be an excellent option to have available. By the way Dave, TireRack.com has a lot of good customer reviews on this and any other
tire you can think off.

I installed on board air a few weeks back..an Extreme Air "Magnum" compressor and a small air tank. Works great. The compressor is mounted under the bed, and the tank is mounted between the frame and body.

Attached Thumbnails

• compr.jpg
  • tank.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#13 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:50 AM

Deltarat...
that is one nice onboard air system.

In general, I think you could just have a compressor to fill all your tires and air needs....but it takes some time and sometimes, the compressors need a break if you air down all of the tires. Hence, the tank is real nice to have loaded and then fill tires. Makes quick work and you can even run some air tools. This is what I will get on my next truck. Now, I just run compressor sans tank. saves space, but does take time.

There are lots of installs all over the web. I guess you gotta know what you are going to do with yours before you design it.

Dave in seattle

#14 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

Deltarat...
that is one nice onboard air system.

In general, I think you could just have a compressor to fill all your tires and air needs....but it takes some time and sometimes, the compressors need a break if you air down all of the tires. Hence, the tank is real nice to have loaded and then fill tires. Makes quick work and you can even run some air tools. This is what I will get on my next truck. Now, I just run compressor sans tank. saves space, but does take time.

There are lots of installs all over the web. I guess you gotta know what you are going to do with yours before you design it.

Dave in seattle

The reason I chose the magnum compressor is the fact it's rated at
100 percent duty cycle. Doesn't require any cool down time. It
Draws 100 amps under full load (140 PSI), so a good electrical system is
Required.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#15 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

thats why i got a thomas 12v compressor, %100 duty cycle.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm running some good year ATs with E load rating. They held up nicely bombing around the gravel two tracks & sage brush in the Yakima training center the other weekend even with a couple "surprise" bumps thrown in. Helped build confidence on the tires and camper to truck mounting. :P

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#17 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:07 AM

After spending close to a grand for my new shoes I think I may need a little cheaper alternative in my quest for air? Any cheaper options like Costco or even a good hand pump? I've got a small tire repair kit with CO2 for my Harley but I've never seen anything similar for trucks.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#18 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

Places like the big marts have little 12v compressors for about $30. Better than nothing. Do you carry a repair kit?

I would not air down my tires with only a cheap air compressor. Would not want to risk no being able to air back up.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

After spending close to a grand for my new shoes I think I may need a little cheaper alternative in my quest for air? Any cheaper options like Costco or even a good hand pump? I've got a small tire repair kit with CO2 for my Harley but I've never seen anything similar for trucks.

Oh yeah, its out there. Might be a bit more than you want to spend though.

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/13/productID/76

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

Does anyone use the engine as an air compressor any more? John D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users