• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:49 AM

Its not an AGM battery and the other one is.

And that means...? Is that bad? Unreliable? Unsafe?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#22 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:24 AM

And that means...? Is that bad? Unreliable? Unsafe?

AGMs (adsorbant glass matt) are sealed batteries that don't vent flamable gas and can thus be mounted inside the camper without venting, non-agms need to be vented out of the camper or mounted outside the camper. AGMs can often be mounted on their sides if desired, non-agms can't. Non-agm batteries require maintenance (keeping the fluid levels topped off so you don't dry out the battery and kill it. Etc.

Both work, one is just more convenient and has fewer mounting location considerations.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#23 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

AGMs (adsorbant glass matt) are sealed batteries that don't vent flamable gas and can thus be mounted inside the camper without venting, non-agms need to be vented out of the camper or mounted outside the camper. AGMs can often be mounted on their sides if desired, non-agms can't. Non-agm batteries require maintenance (keeping the fluid levels topped off so you don't dry out the battery and kill it. Etc.

Both work, one is just more convenient and has fewer mounting location considerations.

Aha. Must scratch that one off the list. Any others? Thx.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#24 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:04 AM

Aha. Must scratch that one off the list. Any others? Thx.

Any others what? Battery recommendations? If so my suggestion is see if a local battery retailer is having any closeouts like I suggested before. :)

By the way here is a good reference read on batteries if you want to know more: http://www.windsun.c...Battery_FAQ.htm

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#25 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

The Sam's 6v batteries are 170 ah for $72.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#26 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Any others what? Battery recommendations? If so my suggestion is see if a local battery retailer is having any closeouts like I suggested before. :)

I meant any others on that list that aren't AGM, so I/we can avoid wasting out time.

By the way here is a good reference read on batteries if you want to know more: http://www.windsun.c...Battery_FAQ.htm

Thanks
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

#27 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

The Sam's 6v batteries are 170 ah for $72.

So, you'd just wire two of these in series and end up with 12v and 170AH? Pretty slick idea.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

I meant any others on that list that aren't AGM, so I/we can avoid wasting out time.

Chances are any batteries (that aren't on sale) that are in the $50-100 range are normal flooded cell batteries. $180+ and you'll start seeing the AGMs.

So, you'd just wire two of these in series and end up with 12v and 170AH? Pretty slick idea.

Yes when in series voltage is additive and capacity stays the same, when in parallel capacity is additive and voltage stays the same.

Those are going to be flooded cell batteries FYI.

#29 Tris

Tris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

You might want to check the charging characteristics of your inverter/charger before relying on it with a new battery. In my limited experience, they are not very well suited to charging and shorten battery life. Not much point in buying a great battery and then trashing it with a cheap charger. I've been able to get charging specs for my battery from the manufacturer's customer service folks. Then use a digital volt meter to see what your converting is doing. If they match, then your're lucky. It pays to check the output from your alternator charging circuit too. Sometimes the wires are too small and/or too long and you get an unacceptable voltage drop. In other words, you may need to buy a real charger too. Good luck.

Tris

#30 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

You might want to check the charging characteristics of your inverter/charger before relying on it with a new battery. In my limited experience, they are not very well suited to charging and shorten battery life. Not much point in buying a great battery and then trashing it with a cheap charger. I've been able to get charging specs for my battery from the manufacturer's customer service folks. Then use a digital volt meter to see what your converting is doing. If they match, then your're lucky. It pays to check the output from your alternator charging circuit too. Sometimes the wires are too small and/or too long and you get an unacceptable voltage drop. In other words, you may need to buy a real charger too. Good luck.

Tris

I've advocated the same and fully agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users