7 replies to this topic

#1 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

I'm interested in installing an Add-a-Room or equivalent product on my 2000 Hawk, which is equipped with an awning. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Big Steve
Seattle

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

this is the only picture I have

I stole it from a previous post on this site awhile back :)

Looks like it clips on to the awning

Your camper probably has the older, silver casing, Catalina Awning made by Dometic / A&E

They are still available

Here is a link to their site (not sure who retails the product though), we don't buy that particular awning anymore -- maybe they sell factory direct ? I know CampingWorld.com sell some of their awnings too

Screen Room Link ...

http://www.dometicus...s.php?id=screen

Attached Thumbnails

• screen room.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

We still buy the awning that you have on your camper from dometic. If you would like, I can get ahold of them and ask about the add a room one and see if they still carry it if you are unable to find something in your area.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

I hadn't really thought about the need for such, but I can really see it you are camping for weeks at a time. Our campers aren't too nice to get stuck in during bad weather. A

#5 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:15 AM

Craig, my use of my FWC is unlike most of of the forum members. No extended stays for me. I use it as a parking lot condo at ski resorts, at trailheads from which I start mountaineering and backcountry ski trips, and camping/staging when I run ultramarathons. I do not use my Hawk for the sole sake of camping -- for me, that involves pitching a tent in the deep wilderness (far from any road or trail) or sleeping in a bivi bag on a ledge somewhere. I suspect that my perspective will change in time, now that I'm on the dark side of 50, slowing down and playing more golf.

I seek the add-a-room for those times when more than 2 or 3 of us are assembled at a trailhead or an ultramarathon start/finish.

When I park my Hawk up at Lot 3 of Alpental, our local ski hill, many of those in their unweildly mega-campers and RV's manifest envy by the ease with which I maneuver through the snow. For me, above all, a FWC is the perfect ski rig.

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

I spoke with Paha Que Wilderness this morning.

They have their SUV Tent in the final stages of development. Should be ready by next Fall according to their rep. It's similar to truck/SUV tents that use an adjustable sleeve that slides over the rear of a vehicle.

From a recent press release -
"A new, heavy duty SUV tent has been designed by Paha Que to provide the overland camper with a covered attachment to the rear of the vehicle and a 100 square foot floor area. With a minimum interior height of 72" (93" at the peak), this roomy tent provides comfortable accommodations for a family and easy access to the contents of the vehicle. The tent integrates to a wagon, or a truck with a camper, using an adaptor sleeve designed to accommodate nearly any size vehicle. High quality zippers and large diameter aluminum poles ensure years of service."

I've seen a picture, basically it is a big screened in enclosure that could be used for cooking, dining, sleeping or for just dodging big mosquitos. Very similar to this Paha Que screen room model -
Posted Image

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind Big Steve, but it's an option and from a manufacturer with a very good reputation and innovative products.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

So you want to the canvas so it stays warmer? I've thought about getting a screen room to go along with my pop up shelter, but don't really have a need more than just a screen.

You're right about things changing. I used to backpack more and camp less. Now I'm lucky to backpack twice a year. The fwc is still just a really nice tent. Give me another fifteen years and I'll probably park the jeep and be towing a 30' TT;)

#8 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

i enjoy having both options...the fwc and the option to go backpacking. honestly, i find myself backpacking less now, since i have the camper but i still do a ton of day trips and use the camper as base camp. its just so nice! this will be my first winter in it and i will practically be living in it full time. getting the arctic pack in november...trying to figure out if the roof rack is necessary. i have a big dog and he needs a lot of room. roof rack would help out with that but lifting extra weight as well as it interfering with the roof vent are making me think twice. in summary...do what you dig!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users