• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#141 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

A 30A MPPT controller should be fine for 3 120W panels. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#142 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:41 AM

A 30A MPPT controller should be fine for 3 120W panels. 

Yep - realized that after I looked it up again.  Originally I was thinking I would get a 15 or 20A and opted for the 30A for expansion.  Guess it was the right call!

#143 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:30 PM

Has anyone claimed their camper as a second home and used the 30% Solar Investment Tax Credit?

http://www.seia.org/...ment-tax-credit

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#144 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

I did several years back when I installed solar on our first camper. I can document every day and night spent in our camper.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#145 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

I did several years back when I installed solar on our first camper. I can document every day and night spent in our camper.

Interesting. I might do this. Does the "second home" require an address? Any other gotchas?

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

#146 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Had ordered two from Amazon and just ordered a 3rd from SolarBlvd for $20 cheaper than I paid earlier.  Was going to use a 30A MPPT Controller - now I need to see if I need to upgrade to a 40A instead.

Howdy

Did you get your flex panel installed ?

Could you please post the actual dimensions of the Solar Blvd panel referenced ?

There seems to be confusion over the actual size versus shipping box.

Many thanks

David Graves

#147 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

Esus

The IRS says on page 4 of

http://www.irs.gov/p...rs-pdf/p936.pdf    

"For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities. The interest you pay on a mortgage on a home other than your main or second home may be deductible if the proceeds of the loan were used for business, investment, or other deductible purposes. Otherwise, it is considered personal interest and is not deductible. Main home. You can have only one main home at any one time. This is the home where you ordinarily live most of the time. Second home. A second home is a home that you choose to treat as your second home. Second home not rented out. If you have a second home that you do not hold out for rent or resale to others at any time during the year, you can treat it as a qualified home. You do not have to use the home during the year."

Here's an explanation of the solar ITC

http://www.seia.org/...ment-tax-credit

I'm not an accountant.  You should check with your tax preparer to see if they think your camper qualifies.  If so, taking 30% of the installed solar system cost off your income taxes looks like a pretty good deal.

Edited by SCUD, 02 May 2017 - 05:03 PM.

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#148 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Howdy

Did you get your flex panel installed ?

Could you please post the actual dimensions of the Solar Blvd panel referenced ?

There seems to be confusion over the actual size versus shipping box.

Many thanks

David Graves

The shipping box was just a tiny bit larger than the panels.  I sold the camper that I installed 3 on, but installed 2 on my current camper.  Pretty sure they are 52" x 23" x 1/8th" but will measure when I get home if you need more precision.

The first three panels I attached directly to the roof using Eternabond and it held pretty well.  The new camper has Yakima tracks so I built a rack out of angle aluminum and flat aluminum to mount them in and bolted that to the Yakima tracks.

#149 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Howdy

Yes, some actual dimensions would be GREAT !

I have Yakima racks but they are at a different width than some other Hawks..

Thanks again

David Graves 

#150 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Howdy

Yes, some actual dimensions would be GREAT !

I have Yakima racks but they are at a different width than some other Hawks..

Thanks again

David Graves 

The 120w flexible solar blvd panel was 1/2" too long for me to mount east to west between my rack mounts on my 2015 Fleet. I think it's actually 51.5". I was able to fit two of them plus a 50 watt flexible end to end oriented north to south between one rack mount and the two fans. That has the added benefit of grouping all of your connector cables in one small area real near the solar connector in the roof. 

I did call the Solar Cynergy guys and they said it would be possible to trim the ends but it would open the seal on the laminate and you would need to reseal them somehow. Plus, you can only trim so much before you hit the grommets. Hope that helps. 

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users