6 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

Hello All respected Wanderers,

On my older fleet model camper I had installed a door from a 2000 eagle that was wrecked. The door had a small puncture at the base..after several trips down looooooong, baaaaad dirt roads in Baja, my rear window in the door "broke free" and slid down about 2 inches leaving a gap to the outdoors at the top..shortly there after the same thing happened to a buddy of mine who replaced the rear door on the wrecked camper he bought and rebuilt. both doors had the factory screen door option. he took his apart before I did and repaired it. basicly, he siliconed the window back in place.. when I took mine apart, it was the same problem. the little (meager) plastic tabs that hold the window in place had broken..

When I got my new ( used ) Ranger I decided to take the door apart and silicone the window in place before the tabs broke..this camper had no screen door option..to my surprise, the tabs were WAY beefier than the others with the screen option...strange?? Seemed like maybe they would have held...they will now!

anyways, I took some photos of the door in pieces and the fix....anybody else experience this problem???

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1727.JPG
  • DSCN1726.JPG
  • DSC00380[0].JPG

#2 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:58 AM

The window problem that you have had is not uncommon. We see it from time to time and you are right about the difference in the plastic holder from the screen door to the regular door.

You have fixed it the same way we have over time. I use a foam tape most of the time to reattach the window, but the silicone will work just as well.

To be honest there is no way to tell when one may break the tabs or not. I ran campers for years and never had a window problem. I have seen the tabs break on serious off roader type customer and also on just the weekend at the lake type customers. I guess you just have to hit the right bump to break the tabs off.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:55 PM

Seems like we see this from time to time at the factory (not uncommon).

I think the door manf. has made some slight improvements over the years.

I don't know why they didn't do it sooner.

The guys in the service shop in Woodland usually cut 2 small blocks of wood to place under the door window before reassembling it and sealing it.

This will keep the window from ever dropping down again if the silicone breaks free from the window.

If you have to tackle this on your own, just call us and ask for Chicali in the service dept. He can give you some quick tips & tricks over the phone.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:14 AM

Dag, what a great idea!! blocking the window up as well as silcon...great advice. I may be ok without the blocks as my tabs were not broken off...

Thanx for the come back Ben and Stan..

Interesting note: it would seem the doors without the screen option would be less likely to fail as the tabs are much longer and thicker..

#5 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:57 AM

Lesson to me....always cosult the board BEFORE you do the mod.

#6 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

I too had the special factory sliding option that I didn't know was a custom and silicon did the trick too. I guess great minds think alike, I have added a pirate fish to help keep the window up and the fish on.

Attached Thumbnails

• pirate.jpg

2000 Toyota Access Cab TRD 4WD 5-speed manual. 4WheelCamper Hawk shell w/extended bed and custom interior.

#7 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users