• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

Great pics mark. On the way to the rally I stumbled across Cort in Bishop and we headed to the same area. Here's a couple more pics of the fall colors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fall colors 2.JPG
  • Fall colors 1.JPG
  • Fall colors 3.JPG

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hey Guys -
I'm still alive and well...just not very-well connected -- Internet-wise -- here in the Whites. If the funky cell-Internet connection parked here at Sierra Viewpoint holds out I'll add some photos, otherwise I'll update later.
Gonna spend one more night up here, I think -- camped (I hope) in a barely-legal spot at 10,500' where I camped many years ago, just outside the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Area, where the Silver Canyon road heads off/down to the Owens Valley. (I drove down that Silver Cyn Rd many years ago...I recall it being a little scary :unsure: :( )
I'll take a couple/3 days to do some driving-exploring as I slowly head back north.

Photos to follow...sooner or later.
- Mark

OK, maybe sooner -- here's a not-too-exciting, but real one: Grandview C.G, site 22, Friday.
Posted Image
Feeding my face while my trusty PV panel feeds the camper battery.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Campcraft -- Grandview C.G.: Living off the land...and sky

Piñon -- Nature's rich bounty!:
Posted Image

The Lady Bountiful:
Posted Image

While waiting for the weather to improve I finished the last part of my solar system -- mounting the solar controller in the camper.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, ok -- so my electrical work isn't exactly elegant -- it works! :P

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

High-Wind Warning!
Saturday I had an Internet connection long enough to read of high-wind warnings for Sunday PM/evening for the eastern Sierra/Owens Valley...and I figured that would include the White Mts, too. Warning called for gusts to 60 mph in the Valley and gust to 90 in the Mts! yikes!

Anyway -- I didn't get blown away, though the camper was rockin'. As I expected, the high winds made for some cool/dramatic clouds -- the "Sierra Wave" and similar.

Here are some photos I took last night in the Grandview C.G. area, including the area I call "Grandview West".
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I got this reminder that there can be cool/photogenic stuff on the ground as well as in the sky. I spotted this little guy/gal (Jerusalem Cricket, aka Potato Bug) while walking from my campsite over towards the cool-view zone:
Posted Image

#15 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Nice photos. Nice k.i.s.s. solar install.

#16 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

Posted Image

The Lady Bountiful:
Posted Image

While waiting for the weather to improve I finished the last part of my solar system -- mounting the solar controller in the camper.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, ok -- so my electrical work isn't exactly elegant -- it works! :P

Mark,

I just purchased the same solar controller...am curious about the meter on top of the controller? I bought my controller from Solartorrent (Pureforms), did you get yours there, and was the meter available from them or someone else??

Thanks

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

Nice photos. Nice k.i.s.s. solar install.

Thanks. :)

When I get home I do plan to make/have-made a PV-panel holder/stand -- something light-weight and foldable, like maybe from aluminum angle. I'd rather not sacrifice my Lafuma chair to the panel permanently, even though it's the only one doing any work. :P

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Posted Image

I'm not familiar with pinon, what is it like? Do you eat them raw?

Good work on the solar, where do you stow the panel while in route?

Mark,

I just purchased the same solar controller...am curious about the meter on top of the controller? I bought my controller from Solartorrent (Pureforms), did you get yours there, and was the meter available from them or someone else??

Thanks

Its a separate meter someone pointed out on the forum called a "Doc Wattson". http://www.powerwerx...-dc-inline.html

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#19 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm not familiar with pinon, what is it like? Do you eat them raw?

Good work on the solar, where do you stow the panel while in route?

Its a separate meter someone pointed out on the forum called a "Doc Wattson". http://www.powerwerx...-dc-inline.html

Thank you For the link Pods, found and got one ordered.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#20 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

A quick update while I have a good, free WiFi connection (courtesy of the Lone Pine McDonalds, where they're currently serving McRib sandwiches! Yes, I know there are no ribs anywhere near the McRib, but they're mighty tasty...with onions and BBQ sauce..mmmm :P ). Where I'm parked writing this on my laptop I have a great view of Mt. Whitney and several other 14-ers and 13-ers, just a few miles to the west -- so cool!

pods8:
The nuts of the Piñon (Spanish spelling for Pinyon Pine) are what are (I think) generally called "pine nuts" -- available in any supermarket. I actually am not too familiar with them myself (except for buying them once or twice in a store for some recipe). I could hear something falling on my camper roof from the tree next to me when it was windy, and I saw all these nuts on the ground (and still in the cones), and I knew they were Pinyon Pines, so I figured it out. I think they should be roasted, which I haven't done yet, but I ate a few raw anyway...I haven't died or developed any strange symptoms, so I guess they're not poison, at least. :D
I plan to carry the PV panel under the cab-over-hang -- slid into aluminum channels, probably -- I've read a couple of posts here of guys who've done that...But because I'm such a lazy slakcer I still haven't got that set up yet, so I'm carrying the panel in it's cardboard box inside the camper. :rolleyes:

Deltarat:
The meter I got is called a "Watt's Up" (clever name :D ) RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer WU100 Version 2.

Last night I camped in the Whites at the exceptional-view spot (10,500') where I camped on my first visit to the Whites maybe 15+ years ago. Exceptional view, for a place you can drive to and camp at. On my first visit there I remember declaring it "The best spot I have ever spent the night vehicle-camping!" I don't know if I can defend that statement (I'm sure I meant the view -- not the amenities)...except that it might still be true for me. ;)

I'm going to spend a few hours this afternoon checking out the Alabama Hills a bit...but I'm staying in a motel in Bishop ("Bishop Village Motel") tonight. There's free WiFi at the motel, so I'll upload a few more photos tonight from my room.
I spent a long and frustrating few hours yesterday at Sierra View in the Whites trying to deal with a sporadic and slow-at-best cell-Internet connection to upload a few photos to this site as well as to my FB page.
Below, my truck/camper parked at Sierra View Vista Point yesterday afternoon -- see how the spot got its name :P .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users