ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

This Trip Report can be found here:

East Side Sierra Oct 2010

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for all the fall photos from one of my favorite places along 395, Ski.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

For those of us who can't yet get away this type of report is a blessing and an encouragement. Thanks, Ski.

#4 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:01 PM

Awesome pictures. Looks like a great getaway.

I love living in Florida, but weekend getaways like that are impossible.

Can't wait to get to travel......

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:25 AM

Sweet trip report, 3pin, love the pics. Recognized Buckeye and Dundenberg from the photos before reading captions.
I wish I had been able to get to the East Side a week or two earlier this year.

We're headed that way this friday. So far I'm thinking 395 south to Bridgeport; probably to Buckeye HS for a soak.
Gotta hit the hot springs on the East Side! Then, we're gonna play it by ear, weather dependent until Monday.
More weather on the way.

I'd like to visit Lundy Cyn. which I've somehow managed to miss all these years, but wonder if the color has receded. We may prowl the lower elevations (Lee Vining, Mono Lk., etc .) while I pursue the fall colors with my DSLR. The other calling is to visit the East Walker for some late season fly fishing. Then there's this remote hot spring we found last time down river . . .

Ahh, the choices of un-reserved camping! Go wherever, whenever, however!
This is why I bought my FWC.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Great shots of the country, Ski3pin!
You were on the same side of the Range as I am, but you obviously got into into it (the country) a lot more than I have -- so far, anyway.
Thanks for the report/photos. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

Hey Ski there is great views from the top of Dunderberg and Excelsior peak if you have not been up. With a car shuttle twice we have been from Virginia to Green Creek is a good hike also.

Thanks for the pictures of the area and wait for next year to get back. So many places to go…………………….

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

Awesome! I love traveling this time of year! Woot!

#9 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hi Ski,

Great report and pics as usual! We were thinking about heading up to Hope Valley and Hwy. 88 area next weekend to do some fall hiking and aspen viewing but this spot looks great. Is there good boondock camping anywhere along the road and meadow there?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Rich, along Green Creek Road starting at Dynamo Pond there are several spur roads that lead to dispersed sites all the way up to the end of the road at the now closed USFS campground.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users