12 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hi Stan,
My '01 Ranger has no rain gutter above the door, bummer.I became quite used to this feature on my old Fleet.

Can I get a length of the alluminum gutter you guys use?? or do you think it is readily available at say, Home depot??

I noticed EROD's '96(?) Hawk has one the full length of the roofline. Is there a practical reason the Ranger doesn't have one??

Thanx Stan...

Tom

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:49 AM

Hi Tom,

My old Fleet also had the rain gutter as yours did, they all did. I don't know what year they stopped puting them on any of the units. I think ERODS Hawk was not done at the factory. I have not done it to my Ranger yet, but you could go to HomeDepot or Lowe's and look at thier angle sheetmetal or to a sheetmetal place such as a air condition / heater company to have a custom peice bent up. After that just zip screw and seal. Place high side on the side the door swings out.

Good luck.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:26 AM

We quit putting on the rain gutters over the door in about 96 or 97. I don't know if FWC has started to put them back on or not. I am sure Stan will be in later and be able to help you out on that one.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#4 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

What was the reason you stopped using the gutters?

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

When I first took over FWC in 94, I didn't really get to use a camper on a regular basis for about a year. In 96 or 97 I started training to become a scuba dive instructor and was using a camper almost every weekend. After being out in a few rain storms, I didn't see where the rain gutter really helped that much.

So between the use of the camper and then some issue that we had with the supplier of the metal back then, I decided to quit putting them on the camper. I don't remember what the problem was that we had with the supplier at the time or even who it was.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#6 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

Thanx Ben for the explanation..I find that even when washing down, the gutter is good for keeping water off of the door...

this year in Oxnard was quite dry (1.89" for the YEAR!), and most of my camping is in Baja, so my need is not great. That said, I will still be researching a rain gutter..

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

sorry -- no extra info from me here on my end

we are not using it anymore

I have asked to see if we can get it again, but it is low on the priority list

I think it will happen down the road, but not anytime soon

We have a few other special projects in the works right now to improve on the our new models (more to come on this soon)

I would like to see the rain gutters come back
really easy to add to the camper
not much cost involved
nice to have when it is raining

Just shop around like Ben said, you should be able to find something that works well.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

This discussion about rain gutters opens the door to another discussion or debate; how far to extend the camper over the truck cab.

In my previous camper where the extension was 48 inches, my taller son (6'5") nearly cold cocked himself getting out of the truck on a couple of occasions. The dripping water gave us a good soaking down the back of the neck when it was raining.

I would like to see the camper builders square off on this topic. Some time ago, we owned an Alaskan. The steel reinforcing of the cabover part of that camper must have weighed nearly a ton! (exaggeration to make a point) Obviously, there are trade offs with the different dementions and how far to hang the camper over the truck cab. In addition to dripping rain, konking out tall people, and need for extra reinforcing, wind drag/fuel economy rears its ugly head with 4 dollar a gallon gas. How do you decide?

#9 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

The EZE Gutter System may do the trick. It is a flexible stick on plastic raingutter for RVs.

http://www.campingwo...D=1782&src=SRQB

Attached Thumbnails

• EZE Gutter System.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:02 AM

John,

Well usually it only takes about two konks on the head to get past the learning curve. Same as the back door.

Yes you do get rain running off when you are out in storms.

The trade off is the comfort and space when you are using the camper.

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time.;)

I believe someone famous once stated that.

In the RV business, no truer words could ever be stated.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users