#1 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRedwood Estates in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

My wife and I had to make our annual fall trip to Eagle Lake to winterize our cabin. Having never camped in Lassen Volcanic National Park, we though this would be a great time to spend a couple of nights in the park.

At long last I have a chance to post some photos from the trip -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2002, Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 6-speed, Standard Cab, Long Bed 4X4 1996 FWC Grandby (original owner) Redwood Estates, CA Bill Rose -- KG6VMX

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

i like to lassen forest area quite a bit. there are a lot of places to go that are outside of the park but within lassen national forest.....with no fees, and no people!

thanks for the pics!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

i like to lassen forest area quite a bit. there are a lot of places to go that are outside of the park but within lassen national forest.....with no fees, and no people!

thanks for the pics!

Herr42, I agree with liking the Lassen forest. we have spent a lot of time exploring different areas around here.

To continue my report, I now fully believe it is a small world. As we were continuing our drive up 89 we came to the parking lot for the Bumpass Hell trail when we saw another FWC in the lot. I pulled into the lot, when I realized I recognized the truck and camper from photos on WTW. Here is a photo of the truck I found...

Posted Image

We saw the owner of the truck. We headed on over to the South Summit Lake campground to set up camp for the night. A bit later as we were setting up camp, the truck pulls in past us and stops in a parking area. Seeing our FWC the owner came over to complement my camper. I had the advantage as I recognized his rig, I introduced myself to Dirty Dog as a member of WTW.

Posted Image

DD later joined us for while around our campfire before retiring to the camper for dinner.

Posted Image
2002, Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 6-speed, Standard Cab, Long Bed 4X4 1996 FWC Grandby (original owner) Redwood Estates, CA Bill Rose -- KG6VMX

#4 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

A few photos of Summit Lake...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

The next morning we broke camp after nice breakfast, and pulled the truck over to Echo Lake trail head parking. After saying goodbye to DD, we headed on down the trail with plans to hike out to Upper Twin Lake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is Echo Lake, about 2 miles down the trail.

Posted Image

#6 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Upper Twin Lake was our turn around point on the trail...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Later after finishing our hike and getting back to the truck we headed on down the road. Since it was getting late, we decided to stay at Manzanita Lake campground. This is a large campground, with half of it closed for the season. I was not all that impressed with the campground with no view of the lake. There were not many people here at this time of the year so we were able to find a some what nice spot, but I am sure I would not like this during the high season. I was so unimpressed that I never even though to pull out my camera. We did enjoy a campfire and nice dinner, oh, and some beer and wine.

Here is a photo of Hat creek along the road to Manzanita Lake.

Posted Image

#8 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Some time in the past, about 25 years ago, my wife and I had taken a drive out to Medicine Lake which is South of Lava Beds National Monument. Our memory of the lake was that we were not very impressed so we have never returned. Well this past summer I have a good friend that was working on his Master's thesis in Geography and spent a lot of time in the area. After talking to him, I wanted to check out the area again. So we made the drive from Lassen on North on highway 89.

After pulling off 89 and onto paved forest service roads we came across a prescribed burn within about 15 miles of the lake. The winds were blowing the smoke North toward the lake. It was getting very smokey along the road and we were getting worried, but alas the smoke cleared just before getting to the lake.

Posted Image

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Bill, we are really enjoying your report! Lassen has so much to offer, geology, great scenery, and of course interesting characters! Your hike out from Summit Lake is one of the Lady's favorites. She likes to go north at the first intersection and do the loop. She calls it the ten lake loop. Thanks for the great photos and report!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Great report and pictures. I really need to get out that way sometime.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users