34 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

As DD can attest, we have been talking about replacing our 2000 Tundra for over a year. Once again Toyota is oferring 0% financing + $3000 matching on the down. They broke through our resistance and the new camper mount is in tha garage. :D Stan tells me we need to raise our 2003 Hawk about two inches to fit the new bed. So my questions are for others that have had to do this. What was your design? Are you happy with it? In hindsight, would you change anything?
I'm not sure two inches gives us much play room, but if we could somehow work in storage or a collapsable slide in stair setup like the XP camper would certainly be a bonus.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I needed some additional clearance when we bought our Phoenix last year, so I got some pressure-treated 2x4s and built a base with three 2x4s on edge running lengthwise in the bed between the ribs of our Tundra bed with a 2x4 in the front running side to side and one in the back spanning the gap between the sides of the tailgate. The base boards are screwed together and are working great. I wish I could have used 2x6s to create addl. basement storage options, but I didn't want the cab-over two inches higher. The "ribs" in the bed stick up about an inch, so there's maybe 2.5" of usable depth under the camper. Not much will fit in that space.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:37 AM

I thought the Hawk fit the newer Tundra's without a mod? Is the bed on the 2nd Gens deeper than the 1st Gen Double Cabs? I'm sure I will eventually upgrade to a newer Tundra and always thought it would fit perfectly. Doesn't mention anything unusual on the fit page here:

http://www.fourwheel.../camper_fit.htm

Congrats on the new rig Ted, and yes, we will expect pics once the camper is on!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

I needed to raise my Hawk in my truck because I have Fifthwheel hitch mounting rails in the bed of my truck. I got 2x6 and 2x12 pressure treated lumber and cut them to fit. It is kind of like a puzzle but it works very well. 2xlumber will not give you 2" but if you build a frame work and cover it with a sheet of 1/4" ply wood it should work very good.

#5 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Ted,

Congrats on the new truck. I used 2" x 3" and held together with deck screws. I needed less than 2” and turned the 2 x 3 on their side to keep the camper lower in the bed. I also drilled holes sideways throughout the spacer for weight reduction and ventilation. Finished it with gray paint, screwed the spacer to the bottom of the camper and still looking good after three years of use.

Attached Files

RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yes, the Toyota Tundra trucks have had 3 different bed depths over the years.

Older Tundra trucks approx. 17" deep.

2004 - 2006 Double Cab Tundra trucks approx. 20" deep.

Newer 2007 - 2010 Tundra trucks approx. 22" deep.

Most customers can measure the depth of their camper base, measure the depth of their truck bed, and then add the correct sized platform.

On a normal Hawk Model we add 2" to the camper floor / camper base when it is going on a Newer Tundra. This is not something you will see or notice on a new camper. It blends in well and is painted, insulated, and skined off with the white aluminum.

On a used camper you might see it, depending on how the camper base was constructed.

(see sample picture below of a used camper that was here in our shop)

Attached Thumbnails

• camper base blocked up.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Another solution would be to sell me the 03 hawk and buy a new hawk that is a perfect fit.
Sounds good ??????? ha ha
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#8 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi Ted,

Congrats, I just bought a new to me '07 Tundra and am dealing with the same problem except on my old fleet I need to raise it 7" for the Tundra. I have 3 2"x6"'s on edge running the length of the camper with a 2"x" across the front at the cab tying them together. It has a sheet of 3/4" ply on the top and bottom and the tailgate end is left open right now. I will hopefully be finishing it this week with a door across the back which will give me 2 large storage areas and 2 small ones under the wings of the camper. I haven't tried it out yet, I think I'll be hap with the storage but I am not happy about the weight. It is heavy!!! I might look into having a local welder weld me the same thing out of aluminum to make it lighter after I try the configuration out a few times.

The other thing I am not happy about is that with the geometry of the Fleet once I get it above my 22" bed rails on the tundra with another 1" of clearance for drains etc... I will have 5" clearance above the cab. I am going to have to put an air dam of some kind up there to try and cut the drag.

I will post some pics once it's finished.

Good luck with your project.

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

Thanks all for your help and the good wishes. I plan to build a design much like Durango Steve and RJones describe (Thanks guys. The drawing was helpful too.). I like the idea of holes for venting and will copy that as well. Chukar Hunter, a word of warning. My original thought was to top the platform with plywood as well, but FWC does not recommend that. They said it is easier for moisture to get trapped under the camper that way - leading to rot. So if you do that, be sure to drill some holes for drainage and air flow.

Don't worry Sunman, photos to come. We are putting new tires and air bags on the truck prior to the install, and plan on adding an OME levelling kit when the funds recover a bit. I looked back at your thread when you put on your new wheels and tires. Since the lift is yet to come, we'll be sticking with the 275's instead of going to 285's. We'll be on the north coast with the old truck this weekend, but will be in the new truck when we roll for T-day. So look for photos after that.

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

Another solution would be to sell me the 03 hawk and buy a new hawk that is a perfect fit.
Sounds good ??????? ha ha

Wish I could help you out, Griz. There are some nice features on the new campers that I wouldn't mind having. But the price on the new ones are a lot higher than we paid and replacing ours isn't likely. Maybe if FWC offers 0% financing and matches $3000 of the down payment like Toyota is doing, we can work something out. I'll let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users