18 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Dweller

Desert Dweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCoachella Valley

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

I have a 2" hitch cargo carrier and doesn't have enough room to carry a mountain bike. I notice when I remove the red cap at the end of the hitch bar it measures 1 1/4". Does anyone know if I could use this to put a 1 1/4" bike carrier onto the backside cargo carrier? The cargo carrier allows 500lb. and I don't come close to loading that much weight.

If anyone could give me some direction I'd appreciate it.

I don't want anything roof mounted, but any other suggestions would be welcomed!

I also would like to install a wind fairing on my 2002 Toyota Tundra standard cab with a Ranger Model on it. In order to determine the size of the fairing, where would I measure from?

Thanks for any and all help!
jinlq

#2 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

utility trailer built by my father in 1948

Attached Thumbnails

• utility trailer.jpg

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

good question on the fairing, i too am figuring that out right now and will let you know. seems like mounting a bike carrier on the cargo carrier would really create some issues. you would lose rear departure angle and i would think it would be pretty heavy...if i am picturing this right. could you attach a pic of what your talking about? we have tried a numbe rof bike/cargo set ups over the years and have seen a lot too so post a pic and maybe i can help...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

I don't know how your cargo carrier is set up, but I can't imagine that it would not hold a mountain bike ? I'm guessing it should be easy / no problem at all.

I had a jet ski on mine and it held fine.

I have also seen versions where people have a motorcycle.

Hope these help.

Attached Thumbnails

• grandby3.jpg
  • grandby4.jpg
  • motorcycle.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

stan, sweet pics! lovin' the one with the dirt bike, lloks like good ole' times!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#6 cvc

cvc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

jinlg,

You may want to check with the CHP for distance restrictions from the vehicle body before you add anything. I've heard it's three feet, but check for sure.

I just purchased one of these (the lower pic) with a bike carrier accessory that bolts on to carry three bikes. I'll post a pic when I get it modified.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lund Cargo Carrier.jpg

cvc '99 F350, PSD, SD, Regular Cab, LB, 4X4

#7 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

looks good, send some pics when you get them, i like the fact that it folds up when unpacked...i may actually be thinking about purchasing one of these...where did you get it? thanks

#8 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have 2" hitches front and rear. With the bikes on the front I don't have to take them off to get into the back. The one on there is a Sportworks, yakima and thule make similar. With the low mount I don't have a visibility problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• tioga_pass.jpg

Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#9 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:36 AM

I have a front receiver and thought it would be a good place for the bike rack, however, I was told by the shop that sold me the rack that it was illegal to place the bikes up front (at least in California) because of visibility, and I never looked further into it because I haven't had a need.

Question: how well can you see the road with the bikes up front, and have you ever been approached by law enforcement because of the bikes up front?

#10 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:58 AM

never really thought of putting the bike up front but it makes sense i guess...especially if you need your rear hitch for a cargo carrier...however i think they make those for the front as well. as a side note, similar to the post on steps...has anyone seen a step that fits on the wheel? something to help gain some elevation when accessing the roof rack...i feel like i have seen one of the units somewhere????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users