16 replies to this topic

#1 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

Just came back a couple of weeks ago from a 5 day trip into Death Valley's Butte Valley. There is a great book about the area by Emmett Harder "These Canyons Have Ghosts". Here's a video for your entertainment from the recent trip:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3853.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

Really great video Gene, thanks for posting! Great fiddlin too :)

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:11 AM

Great fiddlin too Posted Image

Indeed. I saw your friend play during the encore at the David Grisman gig on Friday at the Lobero...too funny.

Very nice shot, great color. Hope to get up that way soon myself.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

Sunman,

Come join us at Zoey's in Ventura. 2nd and 4th Tuesdays 6 to 9pm, bluegrass jam! I'll buy you a drink.

Gene

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#5 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:19 AM

I really enjoyed this video. I'm heading to Saline Valley in a couple of weeks and I really wanted to stop by the Geologist's Cabin too.

But you know, they're not exactly close to each other. We'll be solo, so even though I've gone in to Striped Butte Valley via Goler Wash before with others, I'd rather not do it solo... just in case. I was thinking of going in & out to the cabin via Warm Springs Road. However going to the cabin means one less night at the springs... tough call.

Tough call and this video doesn't help... But if we don't make it to the cabin, I'll feel like I was there and heard a fun jam session thanks to your video. Nice job!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

Sunman,

Come join us at Zoey's in Ventura. 2nd and 4th Tuesdays 6 to 9pm, bluegrass jam! I'll buy you a drink.

Gene

Thanks Gene, I'll have to come check it out sometime...even though Tuesday's are a school nightPosted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

Just came back a couple of weeks ago from a 5 day trip into Death Valley's Butte Valley. There is a great book about the area by Emmett Harder "These Canyons Have Ghosts".

That's a fun video about one of my favorite places, Gene. Goler Canyon looks to be in worse shape than the last time I was there in '08. The county needs to get in there and fill in those waterfalls!

Yes, Harder's book is a very interesting read about those parts. A few months ago I posted a photo at WtW of Harder's miner's cabin just off Butte Valley down Redlands Canyon. He built it on BLM land that later became part of the expanded DVNP. It makes a good car camp too.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,380 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Gene, thanks for the great report on an area we will be visiting again (its been a long time). Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the music, looked dark enough for a little Whiskey Before Breakfast, and I suspect you may have gotten to that. Also Gene & Stew, thanks for the book recommendation. A copy is on its way here!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Greatbasinguide

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:17 AM

Very nice photos/videos, thanks for that. We usually drive over Goler with a car full of kids and dogs, and at least once, with Stew. The Geologist Cabin is a fine place to spend some time.

Last time I was there there was no latch on the door, if the wind came up it blew the door open. Can you tell me if there is now an inside latch? If not, I will take one in when i go in there in the next month or so.

In past Harder's cabin with Stew, I nearly drowned, yep, drowned in Death Valley, I am sure Stew would be happy to tell the story..
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in wild places, or boats:)."

#10 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

In past Harder's cabin with Stew, I nearly drowned, yep, drowned in Death Valley, I am sure Stew would be happy to tell the story..

GBG, are you sure you want me to tell the story of how you thought you were going to drown in Death Valley National Park? The part I like best is how I saved you after you didn't drown.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users