15 replies to this topic

#11 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I like propping the flaps open as little awnings in the sun and the rain.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#12 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

I have an ATC Panther with the outside storm flaps and like them as well. The only problem I have had with them is that one side will not stay up as the velcro hook side that holds the rolled flap has lost its holding ability for some reason. I plan on replacing the tabs this winter, not a big deal. I like the ability to have the flaps propped open as well in the rain. I also find on a windy day it helps keeps the blowing sand out of the camper when the inside window flaps are open. IF ATC is making them removable this seems like the best of both worlds.
Dsrtrat

I like what I see and read about the ATC camper, but the storm flaps over the windows on the otuside concerns me, as they seem difficult to close, although I haven't read many complaints. Any thoughts? Can you leave them rolled up when you close the top? If so, then I imagine the clear cover on the inside would be adequate for most weather. Thanks for your help.

#13 robojeeper

robojeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:24 AM

Here is what I did.Put velcro on ends of wooden closet dowels to hold them in place.One end is cut about 45 degrees ,Have had no problems

Attached Thumbnails

• 62115.jpg

2004 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with 1988 Granby

#14 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

Our out side storm flaps can now be removed and put back on any time or not at all if you never need them. The first proto type is in our shop now. It looks good and still works very good when needed.
Marty

Very cool Marty. As dsrtrat says: The best of both worlds!

Darryl, my flaps are held open by strips of plywood, painted black, with velcro stapled to the ends--super simple.

_IGP0525.JPG

This one flap is not for sun or rain but to keep bright moonshine out of my eyes.

Stew

#15 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

There is another WtW thread with more photos and thoughts about window flaps.

Stew

#16 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

i was in oregon and it was raining super hard. we had the flaps open at first, but it rained so hard we were getting wet inside, i closed the flaps and no more problems. if we didnt have them or had internal ones, we would have been in trouble. it can rain very hard in oregon, especially in the winter, and i wouldnt have the flaps any other way, even though they take an extra minute (litterally) to roll up

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users