• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure many of you already know this................

While I was preparing for my annual Elk hunting trip I was checking on my 3 propane bottles. I found that I had 1-20# bottle which was empty, one about 1/2 full and one about 3/4 full. Up to this time I always did an exchange of bottles at the grocery store at $19.00/ bottle. Since I had the 2 bottles with product still in them I decided to drive a couple of extra miles to the gas company and have all 3 of them filled. While the bottles were being filled I was talking to the guy filling them and found out that the bottles you get in exchange are only filled to 15#, not the 20# I assumed I was getting. He said that all exchange bottles are only filled to 15#. I sat down with my calculator and discovered that I have been paying twice the going rate for propane in exchange for the convenience of swapping bottles. In addition, when using propane as the primary source of heat and cooking you want to have full bottles to begin with as the nearest source can be many miles away.

I will be filling my present bottles from now on rather than doing an exchange.

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#2 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

Yup.

LPG weighs 4.25 pounds/gallon.

The empty tank weight (tare weight or TW) is stamped on the tank collar.
A bathroom scale and a little calculation will tell you how much propane is in the tank.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

Never used an exchange, I guess they are more convenient for some but you pay heavily for that.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

I wasn't aware that we were getting cheated each time we exchanged a tank. That's the last time I'll do that unless my tank is pretty old and hosed....and I just want a better tank.

Of coarse the only tanks I could exchange are the ones for the bbq at home...as the camper tank is a special horizontal tank. The standard tanks cost about $25....where as the horizontal ones are $180.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I was aware, been refilling the same tanks for 6years.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

I was aware, been refilling the same tanks for 6years.

I too, have used the exchange system occasionally, but I have a 30lb horizontal bottle in my Hallmark and have to fill that every time. I know the flat fee for the exchange program is a rip off, no matter how full they get it. The one thing I have found out however, is the places I fill my camper bottle all have stated no one totally fills any bottle. They say they have to allow for expansion. Most have told me they fill them to roughly 85-90%. Regardless, the filling vendors are only charging you for what they put in the tank and aren't building a flat rate mark up into the tank like the exchange programs. I have also found that RV vendors charge less than the "Gas Company" vendors. I had the gas company charge a flat rate of $33.00 to fill my 30lb tank even though it was not even close to empty! :o I then started taking it to a local RV park, and pay far less.

Live n Learn!
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#7 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I too, have used the exchange system occasionally, but I have a 30lb horizontal bottle in my Hallmark and have to fill that every time. I know the flat fee for the exchange program is a rip off, no matter how full they get it. The one thing I have found out however, is the places I fill my camper bottle all have stated no one totally fills any bottle. They say they have to allow for expansion. Most have told me they fill them to roughly 85-90%. Regardless, the filling vendors are only charging you for what they put in the tank and aren't building a flat rate mark up into the tank like the exchange programs. I have also found that RV vendors charge less than the "Gas Company" vendors. I had the gas company charge a flat rate of $33.00 to fill my 30lb tank even though it was not even close to empty! :o I then started taking it to a local RV park, and pay far less.

Live n Learn!

I guess it depends on the vendor. Mine charges by the pound.

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

I guess it depends on the vendor. Mine charges by the pound.

I pay by the gallon at mine.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

The (horizontal) tank in my FWC Hawk says to "fill no more than 80% full" or something like that. I think that's pretty standard.
I'm sure that most refill stations charge by the gallon -- just like gasoline. Every place I've had mine refilled is $/gal (currently $2.19/gal at my closest source).

I found this interesting and useful propane-fuel fundamentals link yesterday:
http://www.propaneca...om/propane.html

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

They are n'tsupposed to fill over the 80%. I have a 500 gal. tank (not on the camper :o , that can only get 400 and your really don't want it to ever go empty. In this climate I can go nearly 3 years without a refill :)
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users