19 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

I know some people have put carpet down to cover the vinyl floor of their FWC (or other) campers -- to make it warmer or at least to make it seem warmer to the feet. I assume we're talking about indoor/outdoor/very-low-pile types, right?
I haven't done that yet, but I'm wondering: How has that worked out for you?

My first thought is that since I'm kind of a pig Posted Image...the dirt/mud/pine needles I track in now onto the vinyl floor -- which I now sweep up (at least once a year) -- would get ground into the carpet. Of course, the carpet would be "loose" -- not nailed or glued down, so I could take it outside and beat it or vacuum it.

Does it actually seem to make the camper warmer?

Thoughts/feedback yeah-or-nay?
Thanks. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

I trimmed a piece of carpet stringer to fit the floor. It is much nicer on the feet than the cold floor. Also, like you said you can pull it out and shake it out. Then sweep the floor.

The stringer is used has a rubber backing so it doesn't slide around on the floor when you walk. I like it a lot.....and it's real cheap. I'm not sure where my girlfriend found it....but she said it was inexpensive.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#3 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:19 PM

I know some people have put carpet down to cover the vinyl floor of their FWC (or other) campers -- to make it warmer or at least to make it seem warmer to the feet. I assume we're talking about indoor/outdoor/very-low-pile types, right?
I haven't done that yet, but I'm wondering: How has that worked out for you?

My first thought is that since I'm kind of a pig Posted Image...the dirt/mud/pine needles I track in now onto the vinyl floor -- which I now sweep up (at least once a year) -- would get ground into the carpet. Of course, the carpet would be "loose" -- not nailed or glued down, so I could take it outside and beat it or vacuum it.

Thanks. Posted Image

There really is no reason you shouldn't. My hallmark comes with a fitted carpet that has snaps in each corner. I use it all the time. I don't think it actually keeps the camper any warmer but it sure beats the hell out of walking on cold linoleum with bare feet. It is definitely more comfortable than the linoleum so, why not ! It is very easy to shake out the dirt whenever you need to....even once a year, whether it needs it or not right? I also use a small synthetic entry rug. I slide it under the scissor steps on the ground and use this as my "mud room" before entering the camper. This helps tremendously keeping the camper floor clean.
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Funny you should ask, I just cut a new piece for my camper last weekend.

IMO using carpet is much better as I found myself constantly sweeping up with just the vinyl as you are constantly tracking dirt in. The carpet "absorbs" a lot of the light dirt and dust allowing you to still walk around without feeling the grit grinding under your feet on the vinyl. Shake it out once a day and you are good to go. And it does feel alot better when waking up on the cold mornings, whether it actually makes it warmer, I don't know.

Dirt/mud will definitely get ground into the carpet eventually and then you just replace it. My last piece lasted well over a year. I use normal interior carpet, you can go to most any carpet place and get a small remnant for next to nothing if you aren't too picky.

Remember to keep your old piece to use as a template before you chuck it!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

There really is no reason you shouldn't.

I think that sentence sums it up. Why not?
I went to Lowes yesterday, and they had 6'-wide rubber-back marine carpet at $3-5 linear foot, so that would put the cost at $10 - $15 for what I'd need. That's without looking for scrap pieces which would be cheaper, I assume.
So it's the kind of idea that could fail and I'd still be out less than what it costs me to drive my camper 50 miles. Posted Image

Still open to more input/suggestions...

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

I just got a carpet runner from walmart, good fit and I keep it in place with a bit of velcro at the far end. I can't imagine it keeps things warmer and for me since I have 3 dogs in the camper I am never barefoot anyway. It does trap a lot of dirt plus I think the dogs prefer it :D
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:39 AM

I got lucky. I was working at a commercial building when they put in new carpet squares. I got some of the extra. Works great. Commercial grade stuff with rubber backing, should last forever.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

+1 on rubber back marine carpet.

Easy on the feet, certainly a layer of insulation, and when my dog has been indescreet I just hose it off and hang it over a sawhorse to dry. Best $20 mod I've done.

Thinkin' I might add a strip of velcro on the end(s)

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

I used a scrap from the leftovers from my house. I stapled mine down with a regular staple gun - I didn't want it moving at all. When it gets trashed I will yard it out and replace it with somemore.

My son is just learning to walk, so the carpet made it much less slick for him and softer when he falls down.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

+1 on rubber back marine carpet.

I know I'm worrying too much about this, considering it's a cheap mod...Posted Image but I've read online about rubber-backed "marine carpet" -- manufacturers installation info -- and they say something about "needs to be glued down, not loose". I'm sure it doesn't really matter....but does it tend to curl up or anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users