Death Valley Rally after Christmas

We're interested and would likely arrive on the 26th, coming from the north via Bishop.
Originally we planned on Saline Valley / Racetrack / ?? but are flexible.
We can stay most of the week.

Well, since last Friday was my last day of work and I'm now officially retired.
I don't see any reason I couldn't make the Death Valley trip :rolleyes:

Well, I'm excited folks want to go. I will be in the area on the 26th so where ever folks want to meet is good with me. It looks like I will be coming east on 178 to 14 then back north up 395.

Darryl

Well, I'm a definite maybe ;) ...
I'll be leaving Redding, CA on the morning of Dec 26 (originally/primarily headed towards eastern NV), so if the drive down 395 doesn't look too bad I'd like to join a DV rally.
If I get to Reno and it looks a lot easier to go east on 80/50 than south on 395 then I'll continue east towards the great and wonderful void of central and eastern NV.
But I'll be in touch before then.
smile.gif

- Mark

I don't see any reason I couldn't make the Death Valley trip
rolleyes.gif

Congratulations you old and softy Deltarat. I'm jealous but getting ever closer.

I don't see any reason I couldn't make the Death Valley trip :rolleyes:

Congratulations Bob and welcome to the club. Maybe I'll see you in DV.

Anyone want to commit to going yet? If so, we need to decide on a place to meet on the 26th?

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 109
Anyone want to commit to going yet? If so, we need to decide on a place to meet on the 26th?

Darryl

Unless something unexpected comes up, I'm going. Will leave Sacramento on the 26th and plans are to return home on the 30th. I'll have my adult son and 2 dogs. Want to meet somewhere along I5 and caravan down??

I won't know for sure until the week of Christmas and it will depend on the swell forecast. If forecast is good i'll probably be Baja bound, if bad, most likely Saline bound.

Hi Deltarat: Yes, that will be fine. I hope you do not mind that I do drive slow.

Darryl

How slow is "slow"?? If Craig was coming along then "slow" would be about 75 ~ 80 :rolleyes:

Me, I'm OK at about 60..that's where the truck sucks the least fuel.

Bob

Hi Bob: 55 - 60. But, you will loose me in the hills. I have a 4 cyl Tacoma and my Bobcat is pretty much fully loaded. As we get closer, if you like you can call me at (925) 858-9289 and we can set up a time and place to meet?

Darryl

We're pretty sure we'll head down on the 26th also, but will go 395 to Big Pine. From there, North Pass to Saline Valley. I've not made it to the Race Track and will likely want to try Lippincott going uphill. And wherever the wanders lead . . .

Lighthawk,
I noticed the nifty entry steps/ladder you have. Can you give me more information about it?
Thanks

Hey Jay,

The steps came with the '08 Hawk from original owner (Livermore, CA) who might likely have purchased it from FWC. Stan? Any comments?

What has been cool about the unit is that I have figured out how to fold it against the back wall and use the step rungs to secure it to the camper. I put some industrial self-adhesive felt in a few places and two small rubber bumpers. It stays put, even on the roughest of roads. I made a piece of 1/4" x 1" aluminum into a sort of latch that keeps it there. But I lost it 'cause I put it on the bumper our last trip! So the photo shows a raw piece of stock aluminum, but I will rivet a handle/stop on the top of the bar later.

gallery_2472_253_58417.jpg

It only says "made in China" w/o a brand name

gallery_2472_253_58945.jpg

Here it is attached to the back of the unit.

Hope that helps Jay. We are pretty happy with this unit.

Thanks Lighthawk,
Do you find it pretty stable?
Its called an Xtend & Climb and here it is at target for $120.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/192-8927037-0825454?asin=B000EUCOUK&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B000EUCOUK&CPNG=home%20improvement&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000EUCOUK&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Yes, the steps are wide and the unit is stable if I get all the feet grounded.
We find it's a bit counterintuitive to fold/unfold, but we're getting used to it. I've only had the FWC since July.

The previous owner stored the ladder inside on the floor,which I found to be a pain, plus that's where my dog rides. Figuring out a way to fix it to the exterior made the difference for us.

We're pretty sure we'll head down on the 26th also, but will go 395 to Big Pine. From there, North Pass to Saline Valley. I've not made it to the Race Track and will likely want to try Lippincott going uphill. And wherever the wanders lead . . .

Lighthawk, We'll definitely see you at Saline if you are there the weekdays between Xmas and New Year's weekends. I'd highly recommend Lippincott to The Race Track. It is a fun trip, slow going but easy.

Here's a few pics of the Race Track under varying conditions. Not nearly as nice as your pics, taken with an old Olympus clamshell 35mm.

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-72.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-72.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Photo 9 of 112.jpeg
    Photo 9 of 112.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Photo 7 of 27.jpeg
    Photo 7 of 27.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 111
Great photos, Gene. From dry to wet to frozen: that's quite a gamut. Seems like you have gone thru the slides to digital scanning process. Oly made some quality gear over the years. I used an OM-10 SLR in the 80's on many an adventure.

We're looking forward to Saline and hearing some jigs & reels! I'll bring a few percussion toys, but haven't a clue how to play a bodhran.

Back
Top Bottom