• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

"The 6 may be a little bigger than I need, but the downsides of the larger size (it takes up more space and it costs more) are worth it to me. YMMV."

I hunt the December muzzleloading and late doe in Michigan. Also do a winter camp out in January. We can easily have below zero temps. Most likely mid teens to low twenty nights in December. :unsure:

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

One more thing I'll mention that happened to me...even though this probably never needs to happen: I had the CO detector go off -- alarm -- when using the Wave. Posted Image BUT -- I think this was due to a combination of factors that can -- and should -- be avoided.
I had the heater off overnight (both the furnace and the Wave)...and I had all vents closed as I frequently do when it's cold out. I got up pre-sunrise to check the photographic potential and to step outside for the usual morning ritual. After deciding that it was too cloudy for worthwhile photos I got back in the camper, opened vents to what I believed was enough, fired up the Wave 6 on High, and went back to bed to catch some more sleep while the camper heated up.
I woke up (maybe an hour later...don't remember) to the shrill beep-beep, etc. of the CO alarm! Yikes! But the good news is that I learned that the CO detector works and that it's loud enough to wake me. Posted Image
What I think happened: Maybe it was just that I didn't have the cabin vented sufficiently to let in enough oxygen to permit complete combustion of propane by the Wave 6 running on High (6000 BTUs) -- so some CO was being produced rather than all CO2. And/or the fact that I had been in the camper all night unvented meant that my consumption of O2 had reduced the O2 concentration enough that some CO was being produced rather than all CO2.

Anyway, it annoyed me more than it scared me -- mainly because I now have to assume that I need to open vents quite a bit if the heater is on High. Or I could just assume that my biological consumption of oxygen (unvented overnight) was the cause. But I probably won't need to have it on High much anyway...we'll see.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

We have a Wave6 we use in our Granby. We've only had the opportunity to really enjoy it in real cold (for us) weather twice, but now we're hooked. I sleep light and every time the furnace kicked on I'd wake up. We first used the WAVE6 sitting on the floor, and wasn't liking it. It was in the way and I was worried about the cats getting too close and burning some fur. Next we tried above the icebox...a little better but still in the way a bit and still not cat proof. The final solution works well for us. I use a couple pieces of coat hanger wire and fasten it right above the door. It only takes a minute to hook it up once we make camp. Now the surrounding cabinetry, and most of all the cats
don't get too hot from the heat. I have a couple different ways to hook up the propane. First, I have a small(3 LB) tank we carry with us for the BBQ, and now the Wave6. I haven't bought an adapter for the main tank to allow a second hose outside for the grill yet, so we carry the second tank. This method requires a separate regulator because the wave is a low pressure devise. I have a couple of them for applications I've used on the sail boat, but I think you can buy a hose with a regulator for about $40. I run the hose out through the right rear turnbuckle hole and put the tank outside. The second hookup is to connect to the refrigerator propane. We still have the crappy icebox, but an Engle front load is on the list. I've been lazy and haven't drilled the hole in the cabinet for the hose yet, I have all the fittings I need but it's still not done. We put up reflectix inside eveytime we make camp. It makes a huge difference in heat retention. On our recent trip to the Grand Canyon we had overnight lows at 9 degrees above zero. The Wave6 was set on Medium, had the top vent open 3/4 of an inch and the turnbuckle hole about 2 inches. Inside temps stayed at 69-70 all night. In the morning when we open the vents up more to exhaust cooking moisture we turned it to high, you can only do that for awhile before it gets too hot. Here are a couple pictures of my setup. The Wave6 is mounted right above the door (reduces amount of heat warming the ceiling), the small fan helps circulate the air so your head isn't cooking while your feet are cold. I put the aluminum over the top when I run it on high so the ceiling doesn't get hot. The Wave6 stores above my battery bank(always in a plastic bag to keep road dust off the membrane)

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020084 (Medium).JPG
  • P1020082 (Medium).JPG
  • P1020085 (Medium).JPG
  • P1020086 (Medium).JPG
  • Our Campsite.JPG

2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

We have a Wave6 we use in our Granby....

n0izh -- Great helpful post/description/photos!
I think I'll try a version of your approach to mounting the heater.
I couple of months ago I bought a couple of 12v 120mm computer fans with the idea that I might use one of them as a little blower/fan for the Wave -- on top of it or next to it...something like that. They're cheap and very quiet and low power draw. I haven't yet rigged up a way to mount them/it, but I think I will before my next trip.

#15 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

n0izh -- Great helpful post/description/photos!
I think I'll try a version of your approach to mounting the heater.
I couple of months ago I bought a couple of 12v 120mm computer fans with the idea that I might use one of them as a little blower/fan for the Wave -- on top of it or next to it...something like that. They're cheap and very quiet and low power draw. I haven't yet rigged up a way to mount them/it, but I think I will before my next trip.

I'm going to do the same thing. I have several 24v cell site fans similar in size to yours. I run them on 12v so they turn half speed and are even more quiet. I plan to mount a small hinge on the metal portion of the lifting mechanism so the fan will lay flat against the wood when not in use. The fan that I use now is just a proof of concept to see if it kept the roof cool and circulated the air. I have a full size O2 fan that fits into the overhead vent. I can leave it up to blow the air out the vent, or let it swing down to blow air on the bed. The big fan was way to much so that's how the little one came into being. There is 12v wiring already in place at the vent for the fantastic fan option from the factory, so it will be easy to run a 12v tap along the wood slat out of view.

John

#16 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

n0izh,
I see we both have birthdays this month. Best wishes with that, you old fart :D . I like the back wall setup, worthy of imitation.

Mark,
What type co alarm do you use? Thanks for the detailed info also.

SunMan, Barko1,
Most of the temps I deal with are similar, ocassionaly dipping below the teens.

Thanks for all the reviews. I am leaning toward the wave 3, as my camper is quite small and I have the furnace plus my truck heater to warm things up quickly if needed. I prefer it cool when I sleep. CO alarm and dust cover are must haves. I have co testers so I will monitor the air quality just out of curiosity. Some type of ceiling shroud I will have ready if needed, and the fans I will hold off on until I test it out.

Happy Travels ;)

#17 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

n0izh,
I see we both have birthdays this month. Best wishes with that, you old fart :D . I like the back wall setup, worthy of imitation.

Mark,

SunMan, Barko1,
Most of the temps I deal with are similar, ocassionaly dipping below the teens.

Thanks for all the reviews. I am leaning toward the wave 3, as my camper is quite small and I have the furnace plus my truck heater to warm things up quickly if needed. I prefer it cool when I sleep. CO alarm and dust cover are must haves. I have co testers so I will monitor the air quality just out of curiosity. Some type of ceiling shroud I will have ready if needed, and the fans I will hold off on until I test it out.

Happy Travels ;)

I don't have a CO monitor for the camper yet. But when we first got the Wave6 for the camping trailer I was quite paranoid about using it. I had already set the trailer up with 2 CO monitors. One was in the bedroom, and one was right next to the Wave6. I tried all different heat settings, and vent combination's to try and get the alarm to go off, but it never caused a problem. I know the camper is a much smaller space, which is why I always crack the top vent and open a turnbuckle hole a bit. Once the camper is warm you cam feel positive air movement coming in at the hole and going out at the vent. But that having been said, I'm actually making a trip to Arizona today where I store my trailer and I'm going to look at bringing one of the monitors home with me. Even though I now trust the Wave6 I think it's important to have a monitor.
John

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Mark,

I have the CCI 3400 CO detector that came with my 2005 Hawk.
When the alarm started alarming on my October trip I noticed on the front plate that the unit should be replaced Aug 2010...so I guess I'm living on borrowed time. Posted Image I'll replace it before my December trip.

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

ONE MORE THING:
The Wave also gave me the opportunity to test my LP Gas detector:
I was doing the Wave start-up procedure when the LP gas detector (which was inches from my Wave) started alarming. I opened the camper door immediately, and the loud BEEP BEEP, etc., sound caused flashlights in neighboring campsites to point in my direction Posted Image...kinda embarrassing. Anyway, I discovered that the connection of the propane hose to the heater was slightly loose (probably had gotten that way in moving my free-standing heater around, twisting the hose into position, etc.). I tightened the connection and all was well.

This LP Gas detector is also probably officially expired...and needs to be replaced like the CO detector.

#20 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

I noticed on the front plate that the unit should be replaced Aug 2010...so I guess I'm living on borrowed time.

MarkBC,

I guess I'll have to replace my CO detector in a few years. I remember reading a post that said the company that made ours (mine is a 2008 Hawk) is out of business. I recall someone posted a replacement unit that would barely cover the existing hole. If you find out which one that is could you please post it? Thanks.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users