• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

I'm considering selling my '04 Flip Pac and purchasing a used 1985 Fleet or an used Eagle to be installed on my '99 Tacoma X-cab 4WD. I know the Fleet may not fit due to tailgate width issues. 4WC recommends using the V6 not the four cylinder motor. I don't want to sell the truck as it only has 141K miles and runs excellently. Lastly suspension - about 100K miles ago I added an extra leaf (5 leaves now, Bilstein shocks, anti-sway bar). I can carry a weeks worth of water, food, camping gear and beer without bottoming out now.
Reason to sell Flip Pac: not insulated (tired of midlle of night cold trips to onboard porta potti in winter after I turn off my Mr. Buddy heater), very noisy in 40 mph winds (unable to sleep because of the noise).

Is a pre- 1990 4WC Fleet a possibility? or should I just focus on 1990 and newer model?
My extent of 4WDriving is unimproved washboard roads - no major off-roading. Would I have to beef up my suspension to carry an stock eagle with just a refrigerator?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 riz

riz

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:05 AM

Just my two cents, and there's a lot of debate on the "long camper in a short bed" issue, I think it's one of the best setups out there:Posted Image
It only takes an instant to make a footprint in the sand... It sometimes takes a lifetime to find the beach.

#3 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Fleet on a 4 cyl xcab. Will it fit? Maybe. Would I ride in it? No chance. The Eagle is "do-able" with the right tires and springs. I see you've done some suspension mods already (good) but still not optimal here. You're probably going to need airbags and will definitely need heavier front springs as well as Tundra calipers and rotors.

Anything heavier than a moderately provisioned Eagle is downright dangerous, IMO. The weight of the extra cab and frame (vs. standard cab) PLUS the extra weight of an 8' camper behind the axle vs. a 6'? Personally, I just do not think there is a safe way to do this regardless of modifications done to the truck. Even still - be prepared to burn thru clutches every 40K or so. This is a LOT of weight for these trucks.

On second thought will airbags fit with the rear swaybar? I don't know, but off the top of my head I think probably not. Considering the mileage though it's probably not a bad idea to get some deavers anyways. You definitely don't want to ditch the swaybar. Stock Tacoma leaves are barely adequate as-is before adding any load, and before considering age and mileage. And we sure don't want to see anybody getting hurt just trying to enjoy their camper.

JMO

#4 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

And by the way Jim if you're considering that camper for sale in Truckee, it's overpriced by about two grand.

Again, just my personal opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users