6 replies to this topic

#1 DesertDon

DesertDon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:42 PM

I am interested in ideas one how to load and unload a canoe on my camper with a factory roof rack. The specs are simple...I have to do it alone and I want to keep the lifting to a minimum.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,315 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

I am interested in ideas one how to load and unload a canoe on my camper with a factory roof rack. The specs are simple...I have to do it alone and I want to keep the lifting to a minimum.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,315 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

yes i realize its three years later,but have you found ideas for carrying a canoe ? i have a 50# old town 12' that i will carry on my new bobcat.i have ordered the optional rack, luggage/boat.my idea is to run a channel lengthwise down the camper.i have a 1 1/2" wheel on the front of the canoe and it will roll into place.i have had good luck with this method when carrying it on my ford escape.it seems easy to load and unload and when its windy the wheel keeps it in the track.

frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 HikerCook

HikerCook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEl Dorado, CA

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

I have Yakima racks on my Bobcat and use the Yakima Boatloader to easily load a 17' 55 lb. canoe. It shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a similar arrangement for the factory FWC/ATC racks.
http://www.yakima.co...?Number=8004018

Attached Thumbnails

• FileRender.ashx.jpg

"Moonlight Mile" '07 Nissan Frontier, '07 ATC Bobcat

#5 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'll try and explain my old set-up as I gave it to my stepson and don't have pictures. It was very simple and I believe came from Coleman with the Scanoe. A pole bolted in place of a hitch ball and high enough to clear the top of the camper allowing for the bow in the gunwales- a bit shorter than the camper. At the top of the pole was a horizontally swiveling clamp. Position canoe about 60 degrees from camper, lift one end and clamp then pick up other end and walk it around to front of truck and onto rack. I'd then strap down the rear and front and be on my way, took about 5 min in all. As long as your truck is not too tall, or you too short, this should be fairly easy to fab.

If my explanation isn't clear, PM me and I'll see if I can get some pics.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#6 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

Step One: get a carbon fiber - kevlar canoe, weight under 40lbs.

I found it useful to wrap the roof rack with duct tape saves scratching the gunnels as I slide it up.

With the canoe stuck over my head in the usual portage position it is easy to lean it up against the rear rack and it slides up easily after that

#7 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTwo Harbors, MN

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

A light canoe helps very much. I also put the front of the canoe on the back rack, ala portage style, and slide it up to the front bar and tie down. Fairly easy.

I would highly reccomend a lighter canoe though. Alum. weighs about 75 lbs. You can get some cheaper ploy ones in the neighborhood of 55lbs. The kevlar is nice at 40 lbs., but it will cost you $2000-$2500 for the boat.

Good luck

agate
2012 Ford F250 XLT Crew Cab w/2010 Hawk

minobimaadiziwin <Living the Good Life!>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users