• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

So what's the best way of getting fuel from these spout-less cans into your tank? Preferably without spilling or getting it all over my hands.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#12 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:11 AM

So what's the best way of getting fuel from these spout-less cans into your tank? Preferably without spilling or getting it all over my hands.

I go this route without getting it on me but a super siphon would probably be a little cleaner. Works for me anyway.

Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

x2 super siphon. Since I started using those I've never taken the cans off of my Jeep.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

x2 super siphon. Since I started using those I've never taken the cans off of my Jeep.

Dumb question here: Once the siphon is used, it is going to have fuel residue inside and at the end that went into the can at a minimum. How do you then store it so the gas residue isn't stinking everything up? I spilled a little gas one time down the side of the truck and a little onto the tire, when the stupid nozzle didn't stop pumping at full (my local Shell is always under-maintained), and it stunk like gas for days even after rinsing off everything I could.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#15 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

[quote name='dsrtrat' date='15 December 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1292450744' post='44700']
[quote name='telebrewer' date='15 December 2010 - 04:36 AM' timestamp='1292387778' post='44650']
Does anyone know where to find the original Sceptor 5 or 6 gal. gas cans. They were the best in my opinion. I think they can't sell them anymore because of air pollution standards. I've searched e-bay and Craigslist. If anyone has any idea where I can find them, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
[/quote

http://www.buylci.com/

Try this. They only have the water cans but I have 4 of these and two of the original Scepter and can't see any difference. 18.99 and free shipping over $50. LCI is the main website and you have to log on as a guest to purchase.
They do have Property of the US Goverment on the side, but that doesn't bother me.
Dsrtrat
[/quote]

I fixed the broken link in the message, the new one takes you to the buylci.com site.

#16 robojeeper

robojeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

I saw them at Western marine in stock.They had the new carb approved nozzels,just like the old style but longer nozzel push in on nozzel release fuel let off it stops,not the wide lip like older ones.24.95
2004 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with 1988 Granby

#17 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

What besides weight and cost makes the metal cans a bad choice? Seems like it would be easy to steal gas out of the plastic Scepter cans by poking a couple of holes in them. Can you lock the filler caps? I sometimes leave my truck at trail heads for days at a time.

#18 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

What besides weight and cost makes the metal cans a bad choice? Seems like it would be easy to steal gas out of the plastic Scepter cans by poking a couple of holes in them. Can you lock the filler caps? I sometimes leave my truck at trail heads for days at a time.

The cheap metal cans leak and or don't seal well at all. And then you have gas everywhere....

If you just lock the cans - I can just open them in place and siphon out the contents. With either style can you need something that locks down over the tops/spouts/etc.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0038U3FQ0

I bought two Blitz the old style with the wide mouth and they always leaked and while pouring into tank. sold them and bought two Briggs & Stratton metal cans with the smaller screw on cap. The new safety spout is slow but I have time.

Have them on the trailer straped down and a wire cable lock through the handle. If somebody wants or needs the gas that bad I would rather them unscrew the cap and siphen the gas out and leave the can un-damaged!

I parked my older 4 Runner at a trail head and with the inside lock for the gas tank the person just crawled under the runner and cut the filler hose and took the gas leaving me buying a new - not cheap - gas tank to filler hose. Then he went on to use the gas to burn down the visitor center at the Bristle Cone Forest White Mountians.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users