• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AZCaptain

AZCaptain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Hey everybody, I just found this website after cruising around on Expedition Portal for awhile. I got a question that hopefully somebody around here can answer for me. I have a 77 shortbed chevy, it is 2wd, but I will be converting it to 4wd. It is up in Northern California, I am in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. I am going up at the end of the month to go get it. My buddy up there has a slide in camper out of a early 90's dodge dakota. He says that if the camper fits in my bed I can have it for FREE.

SO.....here are the questions; Has anybody on here taken a midsize camper and put it into a fullsize shortbed? How did it look? Yes, we are trying to avoid looking goofy. But I want to think that the midsize camper will be a little bit narrower and might possibly match the bedsides of the fullsize? Smaller and a little bit lighter for fourwheeling? Is there enough space to the sides to build storage area? I have even considered making a flatbed for the truck to get more storage, has anybody done this? Does anybody have pictures?

Thanks for any help you can give!

#2 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

Well, I got ATC's smaller unit, the Bobcat and put it on a full-size 07 tundra. The camper sides are about the same width of the truck now, so it's sleek. Nothing wrong with it- in fact, I think it looks better than a camper bulging over the sides. And I still have some storage between the camper and the bed- about 5" which I stuff with firewood.

Here is a rear angle pic. I can't seem to find my others right now and this angle is a little weird.
Posted Image
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#3 AZCaptain

AZCaptain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

That does look good with the camper matching the bedsides. Not to mention narrow for tighter trails. Sadly, my free camper is not a pop up. I will have a lightweight pop up someday. But hey, I am getting a great start in the whole camping/exploring world.

Do you have the jacks for that ATC setup, or did you hard mount it and leave it in there all the time? If it was on jacks when you got it, did the jacks clear the bedsides?

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

But hey, I am getting a great start in the whole camping/exploring world.

Good time to be exploring around AZ. I'm headed there from NM at the end of the week. May explore near Safford and then maybe the Harquahala area W of PHX
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Here's a pic of a FWC Ranger on my Ram 2500 Short Bed. I had the camper on 2 sets of 4x4's to raise it an additional 7' to clear the cab. Far from ideal.Ranger on a Ram .jpeg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 AZCaptain

AZCaptain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

I am definately liking the camper matching the bedsides in both of those pics! Not that I want a higher center of gravity, but if I need to raise the camper up to match bedsides, I thought of building a storage area underneath.

One thing that I have noticed on these forums....all the trucks are pretty stock. Making me rethink my idea of lift and big tires. I was thinking a 4" lift and 35" tires. But now I am thinking of calling somebody like Deaver Springs up and getting minimal lift and doing 33" tires. I am almost considering leaving my truck 2wd for awhile and just putting a locker in the rear while I gather all the parts I need.

I can't wait to get out there and start exploring.

#7 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I don't think the overhang or lack of will change the center of gravity that much. The difference in weight is minimal, something like 1% of the total weight, so a few inches out to the sides isn't go to change the COG up or down. It might look that way to the eye, but I don't think it actually makes a difference.

Lot's of people here have done lifts. You can't tell from my pic, but I went up 1 size in tire and added 1" lift by using adjustable shocks and shackles. Gave me 2" of lift without changing the suspension that much. Others have done more. The bigger you go, the more trouble you are likely to have and the more unstable it could be. Like everything, it's a trade off.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

One thing that I have noticed on these forums....all the trucks are pretty stock. Making me rethink my idea of lift and big tires. I was thinking a 4" lift and 35" tires. But now I am thinking of calling somebody like Deaver Springs up and getting minimal lift and doing 33" tires. I am almost considering leaving my truck 2wd for awhile and just putting a locker in the rear while I gather all the parts I need.

My stock tires are 33's, I want to a 34" OD as it had E range tires more readily available in the size. When those fit without a lift there isn't a need to rush out and lift things. :D

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:23 AM

My 94 Jayco was designed for a Ranger or Tacoma. The bed width is only 37 inches. The cabover height and bed rails were also too low for my 2010 F150. I had to build a 6" thick spacer/platform to get the camper up high enough.

I like the extra space between the camper and the sides of the truck bed: excellent storage for firewood, a second propane tank, fishing gear, etc. See Pics.
Posted Image

Posted Image
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users