#1 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

I am soo happy with my fwc!!! We have been camping in the camper in a parking lot in Anahiem this week while it rained and rained and rained. We were dry and warm while the wind blew and the rain no longer was pitter patter on the roof but the sound of a waterfall upon the roof. We even drove 5 miles with top up to the grocery store while the rain did it's thing.

Yeah, love my camper

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ha! I thought I was the only one that drove around with the top up. Welcome to the club. :D

mike

#3 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:11 AM

Fellow campers laugh at me for using a parking garage to "urban camp". Put the top down for entry. Watch your hatch cover because it is the highest point. Once inside, find a place to pop up.

#4 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

We're currently popped up in the driveway @ our house in Socorro, NM. (my son''s college pad)

Such trips were the reason we originally bought the FWC. After staying @ the Worst Western for a few nights on our first trip we knew we needed something different. Figuring in the $80 or so it costs per night to "hotel it" and seeing that my kid will be in school for 4-5 years made the 15K outlay for the FWC a no-brainer. Top that all off with the basic fact that hotels are a drag in more ways than one....and boom....new FWC!

It was a good decision being that we average about 20 nights a year popped up here...

In the end, "sub-division camping" is far better than no camping at all.

Wal-Mart is calling you.... Now go pop up!

be safe, all

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#5 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

We also find the fwc isn't just for camping. During our first two years we have put-up over flow guests at the house or avoided hotels and motels. Net return on investment, ignoring the times we go camping, has been about 20% per year based on avoided hotel and restaurant bills. In short you can't afford not to have one.
We have also logged about 12 weeks camping over 2 years but I am not counting that in my 20% return.

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Last Fall on my way to Newfoundland we camped in a friends drive in the suburbs of Chicago. I had three dogs and did'nt want to lay that on a friend and these days not many motels want dogs much less three of them. It was strange in the cmper listening to the freeway traffic a miles or so away and the planes headed into O'Hare :lol: Sometimes being a driveway guest is better than being a house guest.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

You aren't kidding. I was just a houseguest and would have much preferred sleeping in my camper. Hopefully this was the last time I have to leave my truck at home.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

You aren't kidding. I was just a houseguest and would have much preferred sleeping in my camper. Hopefully this was the last time I have to leave my truck at home.

#9 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

The very first place I used my camper was at the sale jan 1 at Fry's. Instead of sitting in chairs with blankets we just backed up to the line and spent the night.

Monday night we stayed at walmart in Cedar City Utah. There was another fwc on a ford 3/4. Must of been stealth camping or working there 'cause the top wasn't up nor did it move all night.

Another interesting thing, because of the rain in California I had some moisture that froze. It was a suprise when I lifted the top. I almost couldn't do it. On the plus side when I let the top down It didn't puff out so didn't have tuck the canvas in.

#10 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Urbun camping indeed. Great stories. I camped in my Friends driveway this Christmas day (we stayed overnight) and just loved listening to the wind blow (friend lives on an Island in Washington's San Juan's). Also, when I came back from a big Alaska trip a couple of years ago we camped in a RV campground right in Seattle while I was doing job interviews in the big city. What a gas.
Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users