33 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

We're one the same page there, I'll be going flatbed as well w/ the front wall removed on the bed so the camper can sit closer to the cab. I'm thinking 7-7.5' long main camper on my shortbox. My current hawk is ~6'-8"or9" long and without a front on the flatbed I think I can move the camper ~3" forward so a 7' camper would be the same length as my current one and a 7.5' would only be 6" longer which I can live with.

If I do it I'd be planning on doing the build myself and current figures are looking like I could pull it off w/ one of the more affordable aluminum flatbeds for around $10k.

Currently debating interior plans: Either a side entry door near the front of the camper with a 40" wide dinette across the back that turns into a twin bed and ~4' long counter opposite the door (fridge along the front on the other side of the doorway). Or rear entry with a long isle way, 20" wide dinettes on either side (facing back to front) with 2'-2.5' long counters on either side of the front of the camper. The dinettes would be ~5' long and turn into single width beds and there would be an 18" foot box for the beds build into the cabinets (under the counter) to make 6.5' long single beds.

Either option would also have a cab over bed. Main goal is better use of space to accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids. Also better thermal insulation.

My main goal is to increase storage. I'm tired of all my gear being in a pile in the middle of the camper. I'm still nailing down the details but one thing is for sure: the door is going on the side. That will free up the back wall for bikes, fuel cans, or anything else i want to bolt to the outside.

#12 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

My main goal is to increase storage. I'm tired of all my gear being in a pile in the middle of the camper. I'm still nailing down the details but one thing is for sure: the door is going on the side. That will free up the back wall for bikes, fuel cans, or anything else i want to bolt to the outside.

I thought you wanted a flat bed for more interior space. Me, I would prefer more storage just as you have just stated above. I think the best way to have more storage for my gear, tools etc, is by going the utility bed route and a standard slide in camper. An aluminum utility bed would hopefully not be too expensive. A utility bed keeps the floor level of the camper at reasonable height in relation to mother earth.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

I think the best way to have more storage for my gear, tools etc, is by going the utility bed route

Yep, this makes me drool everytime i see it...

Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

@pods8, @DirtyDog-

Sympathetic to your thoughts; have purchased a solid modeling package to facilitate this and other truck-related design projects.

I've got autocad 2005 that I play around with, mostly have done 2D work. Need to see how well it does 3D shapes and allows manipulation of the shapes after creation so I can change things as needed rather than create a new shape.

I definitely hear you on wanting to have more dedicated/out of the way storage for duffles and stuff rather than shuffling them between the floor/couch/overcab bed. All the regained space in the wheel wells will really open up the opportunities for that. Yeah there is a solid perk to the side door for the bike rack and I've considered that. But there is some appeal to me to have 2 separate dinettes and I don't see that working with a side door very easily. When just 1 or 2 people the other dinette can be left as a bench the whole time and when 2 adults and 2 kids the kids can have their own table. I'm still running lots of ideas through my head. Its too cold to do any construction right now even if I was fully planned.

What construction type are you looking at? I'm thinking about expoxy/fiberglass wrapped over a core of polystrene foam board with some minimal wood inlays. Similar construction methods to home build lightweight airplanes.

Probably should have taken this to a new thread, your sale thread sure is side tracked. :P

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:43 AM

What construction type are you looking at? I'm thinking about expoxy/fiberglass wrapped over a core of polystrene foam board with some minimal wood inlays. Similar construction methods to home build lightweight airplanes.

Probably should have taken this to a new thread, your sale thread sure is side tracked. :P

I can't reveal any more at this point :D

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

I can't reveal any more at this point :D

Fair enough, I've been pretty quite as well, esp. since I don't know for sure if I'll definitely do it and haven't fully locked in all the details yet.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#17 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

For serious expedition style campers, maybe a tool bed or a flat bed is practical. I think the Turtle guys went that way, more or less. Europeans, the few who can afford truck campers, seem to have heavier diesel powered espedition trucks. For the rest of us with day jobs, pickup trucks are the way to go, either full size or compact.

I like heavier off road campers, like the Alaskan. I use to own one and I still have the one ton Power Wagon with Dana 70s front and rear with utility bed that carried it. The direction you are going is toward a previously invented wheel, the Alaskan with a utility bed. Trust me, for the average couple wanting to go off road, lighter is better.

Second Subject - AutoCAD and CAD in general - DD, you might consider establishing a subject catgory for CAD users here on Wander The West. It takes CAD software to view design efforts done with CAD programs. There is a great deal of cross compatibility in the CAD world and it could be an asset to Wander The West to have a place where CAD users post their design efforts. A group design effort could be hosted with a committee to decide when changes would be made to master designs, both heavy and light. As these evolved, someone would probably build these campers.

John D

#18 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

For the rest of us with day jobs, pickup trucks are the way to go, either full size or compact.

Flat beds have all the functionality of a regular pickup bed and more. You can attach walls, cargo boxes, utility racks, all kinds of accessories. The US version of the pickup is more about aesthetics than anything.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Flat beds have all the functionality of a regular pickup bed and more. You can attach walls, cargo boxes, utility racks, all kinds of accessories. The US version of the pickup is more about aesthetics than anything.

Yeah gonna have to agree there. Maybe he misinterpreted that you were planning for a full time camper on the frame?

#20 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

A new trend developing...?

2011 Northstar American Hero - article and details

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the hijack DD. Good luck selling your Hawk!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users