• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Terrific ski! Love all the photos, you have a great eye for using the natural light.

Sounds like a chilly adventure altogether, but at least you were warm during the evenings. Great info on Hole in the Wall in DV. We've stayed up there too, after rolling into the park late one night. Did the same thing, drove up 2 miles and dropped anchor. We didn't drive up any further the next morning though... wish we had now!

Thanks for the fun read and great visuals -

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#12 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Ski,

Outstanding report and photographs as usual. Funny, we are considering a spring trip if the wildflower bloom is good this year. Knowing it will be crowded, I was looking for places to boondock and was wondering about Greenwater Valley and Furnace Creek Wash Roads.

I am so bummed we missed you. That brutal cold chased us home a couple of days early. That said, we are actually considering going to the Alabama Hills next weekend. It is a three day weekend for us. Plan A is Wawona in Yosemite and that hasn't been tossed yet, but Plan B is running close to taking over. Otherwise, maybe a trip back to DV in the spring will finally allow me to get you that Pete's I owe you. :D Come to think of it, my boss will be in Kona in three weeks. Are there any special brews available there only that I can have her pick up for you?

And Stew, I haven't forgotten about you and the Guiness, either.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,379 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind comments. It was unbelievably cold in the Alabama Hills, I estimated 10 degrees. We really need a simple remote outside temperature sensor. The blue water jug was froze solid and the forward sleeping pad was frozen to the cab over board. Took some care to get it up without damage so we could push in the slider.

Ted, surprise us. Death Valley did get some rain during the south cal deluge so we're hoping for a good wildflower year. The Lady's spring break is late April this year and we have a list of more places to explore in the Park.

Jay, didn't see a big burnt spot near where we camped in the hills. Going to have to hear that story some time.

NYE, after dark an old beater motorhome came into the area and pulled behind some rocks a little over a quarter mile away. As we were wandering and taking photos early the next morning in the cold quiet, all of a sudden these folks fired off their generator. It was obviously about the same vintage as the motorhome and I believe people could have heard it in Lone Pine. I was hoping either a graboid or Dirty Dog would show up to take care of it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

We really need a simple remote outside temperature sensor.

I recently bought this one:

Honeywell TM005X Jumbo Display Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer

I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine...as long as it lasts, anyway.

This replaces a similar-but-different Taylor model I had that worked fine for a year or two until buttons on the indoor unit stopped working properly. Outside sensor still works, but that sensor has no "max/min" memory, so it can only display the current temp -- thus, the new purchase. (and lithium batteries are essential for long-lasting cold-temperature use)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind comments. It was unbelievably cold in the Alabama Hills, I estimated 10 degrees. We really need a simple remote outside temperature sensor. The blue water jug was froze solid and the forward sleeping pad was frozen to the cab over board. Took some care to get it up without damage so we could push in the slider.

Ted, surprise us. Death Valley did get some rain during the south cal deluge so we're hoping for a good wildflower year. The Lady's spring break is late April this year and we have a list of more places to explore in the Park.

Jay, didn't see a big burnt spot near where we camped in the hills. Going to have to hear that story some time.

NYE, after dark an old beater motorhome came into the area and pulled behind some rocks a little over a quarter mile away. As we were wandering and taking photos early the next morning in the cold quiet, all of a sudden these folks fired off their generator. It was obviously about the same vintage as the motorhome and I believe people could have heard it in Lone Pine. I was hoping either a graboid or Dirty Dog would show up to take care of it.

Never a graboid when you need one. Was that actually filmed in NV? Might be fun to see the actual site, unless it was filmed on a lot.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Monte, it looks like you and The Lady had another great trip into The Valley of Death. Thanks for the always great photos!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#17 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

Never a graboid when you need one. Was that actually filmed in NV? Might be fun to see the actual site, unless it was filmed on a lot.

Craig, at least part of the first Tremors film was shot near Lone Pine, CA because some of the peaks near Mt Whitney can be seen in the background. Also, the big, round rocks that are used to twart the graboids near the end of the film sure look like the boulders in the Alabama hills, a favorite spot for LA movie makers.

Stew

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

I didn't get this reference -- had to Google "graboid". I thought I was familiar with "Tremors", but I guess I should study it more. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

I didn't get this reference -- had to Google "graboid". I thought I was familiar with "Tremors", but I guess I should study it more. Posted Image

Yes, Mark, you should study it more. There will be a short test given on Tremors in the next few days. If you pass, you can retain your WtW membership. :D

Stew

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,379 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Yes, Mark, you should study it more. There will be a short test given on Tremors in the next few days. If you pass, you can retain your WtW membership. :D

Stew, check my answers.
Stampede scenes were shot just north of Bishop on the volcanic tablelands.
Boulder scenes in the Alabama Hills
Utility guys attacked scenes were shot right on Whitney Portal Road in the narrows between Lone Pine and Movie Road
I believe they built the town of Perfection in the southern Owens Valley.
I don't know where the scene where the graboid ate the generator was filmed.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users