• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

I like my 05 Tacoma in many respects, however I find with my FWC camper loaded ,it does not stop well at all. I have looked for rear disc brake conversions and not found much that looks roadable or affordable. Has anyone else discovered a brake improvement for the 05 and later Tacomas?

#2 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

Check and see if you have a brake proportioning valve over your rear axle. If you do, and you have Ride Rites or some sort of rear suspension mod to raise the rear, you need to compensate the valve with a 2 inch bracket. You are likely operating on front brakes only. Search the other threads: http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/3518/

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

05+ Tacoma does not have proportion valve on the rear axle. From what I read there is no off the shelf rear disk brake conversion kit for 05+ Tacoma.
How bad is your brake? If it can lock up the wheels then it has enough power maybe it's the brake feel that is lacking.

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

How much braking work is really done in the rear when the camper is on? Once you hit the brakes all that weight is transfered to the front and I would think with higher COG only amplifies that. Better front discs/pads might be of some help, also a wider contact patch.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

To put it bluntly, nothing with a load on it stops as quickly as it did when unloaded. The more weight you put on, the longer the stopping distance will be. (Don't slam on your brakes if a semi is close behind if you want to avoid a real life demonstration of what weight does to stopping distance.) Driving more defensively is necessary when you are loaded with the camper. I don't find the Tacoma brakes inadequate when the camper is aboard, but I don't drive it the same way as I do when the camper is off.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#6 Southbound

Southbound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

I just put Powerslot brand slotted rotors and Hawk pads on my 07 Tacoma 4 door this past weekend and it made a big difference. Its used as a work truck with a lot of weight in back and I am very happy with the result. Bought it all from Tire Rack.com.

#7 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:45 AM

I definitely notice a braking difference with the camper on and consequently drive much slower. However I am worry about to having to make an emergency stop with the camper. I may try out different front rotors and pads. Consensus at the Tacoma forum is that they don't help much. I am interested in hearing others experience. Thanks for the info so far. Tundras come with rear discs for some reason.

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

I know this thread is about Taco's but I had some odd experiences while four-wheeling my Tundra last night. I got the brakes wet driving through a stream maybe a foot deep. I then drove down a steep hill. The brakes made a low frequency moaning sound and kept slipping, causing me to pump the brakes to attempt to stop. Fortunately the hill was short and I did not have my FWC mounted on the back. It took almost five minutes to dry the brakes back to normal operation.

Anyone know what upgrades are recommended for all the Toyotas?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hey Andy, after the brakes were wet was it a dirt or gravel road you were on? It sounds to me like your ABS was kicking in, maybe in combination with wet tires slipping a bit. I had a Nissan a while back that I would remove the ABS fuse from while on dirt roads. It never seems to be an issue with my Dodge.
Gene

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Maybe, Gene. I know the ABS sound and sometimes unfavorable braking it causes, but what I experienced was different. I felt that the pads / shoes were actually shuddering and slipping due to wetness. Probably not a big deal, but I'll want to be aware that I should not descend something really steep immediately after fording a stream. That seems a little bit topographically challenged if you think about it :D

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users