Photo

Custom camper ideas - fold up / slide out counter space?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Anyone have any clever ideas for fold up or slide out counter options? Preferably some commercial product that could be bolted to existing cabinetry.

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

You okay with a little bit of wood working? If so I'm sure you could easily knock out something that fits your desires way easier than trying to conform to a commercial product. For a slide out you could do a simple cutting board style thing in kitchen cabinets if the ratio of extension verse how much is still in the cabinet isn't too long, if you want more extension doing some drawer slides for something similar could be easily accomplished (you'd make it look like an upside down C-channel and the slides would go on the perpendicular sides).

If you want to go the fold out route a hinge of this nature with a counter top you made up (or bought) would work too:
Posted Image

Give me some more specifics on the area you're trying to accommodate something like this in your camper (or alt. layout) and I'll fire off some more specific thoughts if you want.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

If i do a slider its going to be on bearing sliders. I want a sturdy platform, not just a cutting board style insert. A hinge like the one you posted might work. Do you know of an online supplier for that kind of thing?

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

Just a note for glass toped SMEV sinks and hobs.

They do not help add space when cooking, but when not in use they create a nice smooth surface to work on.

Best source I have found for SMEV is www.leisureshopdirect.com
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

If i do a slider its going to be on bearing sliders. I want a sturdy platform, not just a cutting board style insert. A hinge like the one you posted might work. Do you know of an online supplier for that kind of thing?

Yeah bearing slides would be the ideal. You just need to figure if you want a slide or a hinged table. The image I poached above was from here:
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/FURNITURE+HINGES/Table+Hinges+-+Shelf+Hinges let me know if that link doesn't work for you. I've not sourced these heavily so there might be (probably is) a better source but it was the first I came across when looking for a picture of what I wanted to show you.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Interesting project guys I will be following your progress. As to shelves you might consider drop leaf hardware if you have room to apply it. It requires about a 3" fixed return for hinges & bracket space. Here's link showing the application at post #18.

http://www.wanderthe...62/page__st__10
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

I recently posted about a swiveling table (std equip on Westfalia). We've now used it on several trips and like the fact it can be used in several locations. Only downside has been me banging my bare feet into to base bracket. Usually this happens before I've had my morning coffee resulting in some choice expletives. :o

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

I've always liked the way sportsmobileuses the drop-leaf in their interiors.

Attached Thumbnails

• drop hinge countertop.jpg

'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users