• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

We just lost one of my favorite nature writers - Barry Lopez. I had just re-read Of Wolves And Men and enjoyed it as much as the first time. RIP Barry!!

#202 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 7,524 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:22 PM

We just lost one of my favorite nature writers - Barry Lopez. I had just re-read Of Wolves And Men and enjoyed it as much as the first time. RIP Barry!!

One of my favorites, too.  I had the pleasure of meeting and thanking him at a Frans Lanting presentation.

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard

Tu Ne Cede Malis

#203 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 6,719 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

RIP,read his obit in the paper yesterday.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#204 ski3pin

ski3pin

curmudgeon

• Site Team
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:29 PM

Here is one special book -

Rivers of Wind: A Western Boyhood Remembered by Gary Penley

This is the story of two brothers growing up on a small ranch in southeast Colorado. I was gifted a copy several years ago by Gary's brother, George, a friend of Julie and I. It is a treasure and a wonderfully told story of their youth in the West.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln<p>http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#205 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

New York to Nome

I’ve had the hard bound copy for years. Read it over again before passing it on to my Son.

https://www.latimes....1127-story.html

It’s available on both Amazon and Google Books, as well as the Crook County (Oregon) Library should you find yourself there waiting for an opportunity to grab some WiFi or something.

Edited by LuckyDan, 14 January 2021 - 08:42 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#206 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion... I just found a signed copy on Abes Books for $20.  I love books like this.

If you can find a copy of "Disappearances" Howard Frank Mosher (VT) about a whiskey smuggler by canoe in the 1930's over the Canadian border into the Northeast Kingdom .... Quebec Bill. An incredibly entertaining book (Abes is a great place to buy used books for cheap... and if they are out of print)

2001 Tacoma with 2011 Eagle

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Rob

Instagram  lordwoodcraft

#207 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 7,524 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

New York to Nome

I’ve had the hard bound copy for years. Read it over again before passing it on to my Son.

https://www.latimes....1127-story.html

It’s available on both Amazon and Google Books, as well as the Crook County (Oregon) Library should you find yourself there waiting for an opportunity to grab some WiFi or something.

Rick Steber is an interesting author.  His “Caught in the Crosshairs”, is a true story about a murder and bungled investigation that occurred near Mitchell, Oregon. It took place on the Fopiano Ranch, that was owned by one of my now deceased friends and neighbor, Jim Collins.  It’s the only book I’ve ever read where I knew several of the people mentioned.  

I believe Steber lives near Ochoco Summit.

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard

Tu Ne Cede Malis

#208 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion... I just found a signed copy on Abes Books for $20)

And thank you for your suggestion.

#209 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:46 PM

Rick Steber is an interesting author.  His “Caught in the Crosshairs”, is a true story about a murder and bungled investigation that occurred near Mitchell, Oregon..

It too in my opinion is worth considering. Probably not considered a murder mystery in the true literary sense, a good compelling story none the less.

The rhyme was purely unintentional.

#210 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

"The Complete Ambler" by William Donald Needham, my favorite natural history book (by several miles).  Needham's book features  select natural history topics which mostly apply East of the Mississippi.  Each topic was chosen to be interesting and discussed at length.  The modest amount "moralizing" could detract for some readers but the content for each topic is VERY interesting.  I would not label the book as "hiking" but instead as select natural history, East of the Mississippi.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users