Propane and Wave 3

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

I am getting a Bobcat shell and am planning on getting the Wave 3 for heat. I was going to set it up on legs.

My question is how do I setup the propane since I will have no vent? Does the propane tank need to remain outside when running the heater, or can I keep it inside and leave a window open (which I would do anyway)? I suppose I could just use the small coleman tanks but that would cost alot more and is there any difference between them and a big tank? Doesn't make sense to leave the tank outside in the cold.

I guess another question would be is it okay to keep a propane tank inside the camper, unvented, if you aren't using it? Or I travel with it inside, and put it outside when I'm in the camper?

Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for your help.

#2 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

I am getting a Bobcat shell and am planning on getting the Wave 3 for heat. I was going to set it up on legs.

My question is how do I setup the propane since I will have no vent? Does the propane tank need to remain outside when running the heater, or can I keep it inside and leave a window open (which I would do anyway)? I suppose I could just use the small coleman tanks but that would cost alot more and is there any difference between them and a big tank? Doesn't make sense to leave the tank outside in the cold.

I guess another question would be is it okay to keep a propane tank inside the camper, unvented, if you aren't using it? Or I travel with it inside, and put it outside when I'm in the camper?

Thanks for your help.

First for the Wave3 you should always have some ventilation open because the Wave3 consumes oxygen. I open the turnbuckle hatch under the icebox about 2 inches and then open the vent an inch or so. A window cracked a bit will do the same if you don't have a vent. For the tank, I carry a separate 3 Gal tank under the couch seat. This is in addition to the main tank that you access from outside. I check the small tank every trip with propane leak detector (the liquid stuff) and also have a propane detector. Neither has ever shown a problem. I have run my Wave6 with the tank inside several times with no troubles, but decided I'd rather have the tank outside. The only real reason isn't the propane thing, it's just in the way sitting above the pantry. I plan to have a hole for the hose to go in near the rear door. I'm going to use the same fitting as the grey water connection, and just feed the hose through when I need it. The tank fits nicely on the bumper while in camp, and also gives me another propane source for the BBQ. I really dislike the small green bottles. They always seam to run out or have leaked since the last time I used one. Also keep in mind that if it's really cold out, and the tank is outside, you'll lose quite a bit of BTU capacity compared to a warm tank inside. By having the choice of where I can put the tank lets me bring it inside during the really cold trips (15 degrees and down). Other wise, I put it outside to leave the shelf clear. On my sailboat the Coast guard requires me to have my tanks in a sealed box that vents overboard(propane is heavier than air and will sink to the low spots), but then they allow me to run hoses inside the boat to the stove, water heater and furnace????? Kinda makes you scratch your head! Inside or out it's a personal choice. If you keep the tank, and all the fittings in good repair I'm comfortable with either one.

John
2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

I am planning on storing my tank inside when I build my camper. I like it this way because it is easy to monitor the tank. And unlike a boat, there is no bilge for the propane to sink into. I will have a couple of vents at floor level.

With my current setup I sleep over the propane, not ideal, but everything is a compromise.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for your help.

Don't know if this fits with your shell design, but how about using the "furnace" option, but with no furnace, just the exterior propane and cabinet so you can use a Wave 3. You might also be able to install a cooktop on the counter above the propane cabinet. You'd still have storage space under the propane tank where the standard furnace normally goes.
'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#5 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

Just getting the furnace box (without the furnace) is a good idea, however it seems it's not a good use of space for something rarely used. I am planning on benches (that open for storage) running the length of the camper level with each window (I'm getting two windows).

Along those lines, this is what is used on boats, and would only require a 1/2 inch vent in the exterior wall. Pricey, but for peace of mind maybe not. I would think it would fit under the bench near the door. It's a small tank, but would still probably last awhile. Thoughts? thanks.

http://www.go2marine...ct.do?no=93269F

#6 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

I have an ATC Ocelot shell version that I bought recently from Jay Aronow Camper Sales. I simply mounted the Wave 3 to the wall as in the picture. I would not use feet, having it screwed in place saves space and it is always there, no need to pack it. I use a 2.5 gallon tank inside, the hose runs across, under the door sill, to the tank on the opposite side. I only place the tank there when I use the Wave 3. I open a turnbuckle vent and the roof vent a tad.

I have a second Wave 3 that was fired up once to be sure it worked but I never used it. Complete in the box with manual, packing, everything just as new. It is for sale at $150.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#7 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

Just getting the furnace box (without the furnace) is a good idea, however it seems it's not a good use of space for something rarely used. I am planning on benches (that open for storage) running the length of the camper level with each window (I'm getting two windows).

Along those lines, this is what is used on boats, and would only require a 1/2 inch vent in the exterior wall. Pricey, but for peace of mind maybe not. I would think it would fit under the bench near the door. It's a small tank, but would still probably last awhile. Thoughts? thanks.

http://www.go2marine...ct.do?no=93269F

That locker might work. Good concept, not cheap by any means but might do the trick, fit in the bench storage, and be removable when not needed. For a low tech / inexpensive option, you could maybe mount the tank on the exterior of the rear wall with a bracket. Not as clean looking that way, still removable when not needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• AT-5-lb-propane-bracket.jpg

'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:09 AM

:) And about $400 cheaper, that's about 2000 miles in my fat diesel!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

<snip> For a low tech / inexpensive option, you could maybe mount the tank on the exterior of the rear wall with a bracket. Not as clean looking that way, still removable when not needed.

Source of bracket, please?

#10 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:11 AM

Source of bracket, please?

Adventure Trailers

http://www.adventure...llaneous_items/