• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

I opted for the Fluorescent lights rather than the standard incandescent lights.

I am considering switching to LED's since they use less energy to run.

For those of you that switched.....are you happy with the LED's?

What brand/model number did you use?

Are they as bright (or brighter) than the Fluorescent lights from the factory?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

The last time I looked, they still didn't put out the same quantity or have the same diffusion to justify the price differential (unless you're spending weeks offroad). Curious to see if thats changed yet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hi Leadsled,

I switched to the LEDS. Got them from FWC cause I did not have time nor patience to look around for replacements elsewhere. A little spendy, but easy!!

I think the light is fine for my needs. When I have one on, it does not even register that it is pulling any juice from the battery....

Way better than the flourescents... (IMHO)

I'm going to go outside and check what the meter says with both lights on.... (Remember, I ran all my loads thru my controller....)

With both lights on the meter registers .42 amps an hour.

Hope this helps

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#4 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hey Randy

Could you post some pictures of your led setup?

Thanks 1ton

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Link to my build thread, LED lights.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#6 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'm very happy with the LED lights. I replaced two of the four incandescents in my Eagle with LEDs, and I find I never use the incandescents at all now.

I use these from http://www.superbrightleds.com (in the RV and marine category):

1156-PCB-xWHP9: White 9HP-LED 1156 PCB Lamp

Pricey, but worth it. I'm not sure about the form factor of the fluorescent fixtures, so don't know if these would be best for you.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#7 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I use all warm LED's. The light is not much different than incandescent and as I use a Wave 3 (no electrical) for heat, and an ice box for cooling, the only need I have for 12 volts is my lighting. The draw is so low, I use an 18 amp/hr battery which is only a few pounds and the size of a cigar box. With this little battery and all seven of my lights on (I have 1 porch and two side lights) I would have 36 hours of light!

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I opted for the Fluorescent lights rather than the standard incandescent lights.

I am considering switching to LED's since they use less energy to run.

For those of you that switched.....are you happy with the LED's?

What brand/model number did you use?

Are they as bright (or brighter) than the Fluorescent lights from the factory?

One of the first changes i made was to go with the LEDs. Marty at ATC recommended these over fluorescents,which he could have sold me but thats not how they operate.I just searched on line and found a place located in Seattle.They cost about $10 each.There are different" base" types mine are the kind with two little tabs on the base of the bulb.They give off nice bright light and little worry about heat on the folding sides.I'll have to search some threads to find the # for the lights I have.

Hope this helps

Frank

It seems that when I started to answer you on this I was the only one but I had to take a phone call and didn't post for a while,so more posts came through.Superbrights.com is where I bought mine from also.The 1156 # sounds right.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

One of the first changes i made was to go with the LEDs. Marty at ATC recommended these over fluorescents,which he could have sold me but thats not how they operate.I just searched on line and found a place located in Seattle.They cost about $10 each.There are different" base" types mine are the kind with two little tabs on the base of the bulb.They give off nice bright light and little worry about heat on the folding sides.I'll have to search some threads to find the # for the lights I have.

Hope this helps

Frank

It seems that when I started to answer you on this I was the only one but I had to take a phone call and didn't post for a while,so more posts came through.Superbrights.com is where I bought mine from also.The 1156 # sounds right.

So were you mistaken on the Seattle part before then (superbrightleds looks like its in Missouri)? Just curious if there is a local place I should check out. Sounds like most folks are just retrofitting incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs that have the same connection then? Just wondering what best to eye up when starting from scratch.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

This link should be an ebay search of BA15S bayonet LED's that fit your current fixtures and are "warm" light.

http://shop.ebay.com...6.c0.m270.l1313

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users