• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Any of the rafting/boating sites sell great fire pans.

nrsweb.com

downriverequip.com

I hope this helps.

Paul

I'm sure they are sturdier. Now I am wondering if I can find some sort of little portable BBQ that I can also use with the dutch over. Mostly I have just been carrying a simple grill which works fine in a campground that has a grill at each site but last week the grills provided were not dutch oven friendly and the no ground fire thing. I do like having a grill that I can put on top on. I used to have a little rectangular grill on little legs and a nice cover but it is disintegrating. But that wouldn't help with the dutch oven :( So I guess I need something that keeps the fire off the ground, has a lid to help cooking some stuff, and still can be used to support the dutch oven. Sounds like two items!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#12 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

Although not too practical to carry, at Collins Lake they use what I believe to be a washing machine tub. Worked like a charm.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4319 resize.jpg

#13 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

I'm sure they are sturdier. Now I am wondering if I can find some sort of little portable BBQ that I can also use with the dutch over. Mostly I have just been carrying a simple grill which works fine in a campground that has a grill at each site but last week the grills provided were not dutch oven friendly and the no ground fire thing. I do like having a grill that I can put on top on. I used to have a little rectangular grill on little legs and a nice cover but it is disintegrating. But that wouldn't help with the dutch oven :( So I guess I need something that keeps the fire off the ground, has a lid to help cooking some stuff, and still can be used to support the dutch oven. Sounds like two items!

I should have added in my first post that the stainless steel pans from steam tables are larger and make good fire pans as well.
Dsrtrat

#14 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

I am assuming there are no fire pits there. Just wondering why they don't allow it. Smoke, fire danger?

Then what do you do with the ashes?

I love a good ole cracklin' campfire but that is too much work!!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#15 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Fire danger and the "leave no trace" idea. We have been doing this for years while on multi-day river trips. We don't have to worry about fire danger in a lot of camps along the rivers. However, everyone using a fire pan and carrying out the coals/ashes allows everyone to have a more pristine experience, or at least a cleaner camp when they arrive for their use. It's really not that much work once you get into the routine.
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Fire danger and the "leave no trace" idea. We have been doing this for years while on multi-day river trips. We don't have to worry about fire danger in a lot of camps along the rivers. However, everyone using a fire pan and carrying out the coals/ashes allows everyone to have a more pristine experience, or at least a cleaner camp when they arrive for their use. It's really not that much work once you get into the routine.

Totally agree. Fire danger is extremely high in Big Bend, I'd hate to be responsible for a giant brush fire, not many resources to fight it out there.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#17 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

I've always wondered about this idea- why not dump the ashes in the river? It will sink, wash away or disappear right? Aren't proper ashes a fertilizer anyway? I can understand leave no trace in a place like the UT desert where unfortunately, people leave too much ash and it scars the land. But in river bottom? What am I missing?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#18 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

I've always wondered about this idea- why not dump the ashes in the river? It will sink, wash away or disappear right? Aren't proper ashes a fertilizer anyway? I can understand leave no trace in a place like the UT desert where unfortunately, people leave too much ash and it scars the land. But in river bottom? What am I missing?

Hi Brett,

The reason that rivers have carry out policys is that although the fly ash will sink the charcoal floats on the surface and washes up on the beaches leaving an unsightly "bathtub ring" at high water mark.
Most western rivers experience very high use and limited campsites that are used almost every night during river season. Charcoal lasts in the enviroment longer than almost any organic material as evidenced by the charcoal from fires found at prehistoric sites.
It's really not much extra work to bag your fire debris along with your other trash and it keeps food odors down as well. The key to fire managment is to have reasonable size fires and let then burn down to fine ash and charcoal.
Dsrtrat

#19 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi Brett,

The reason that rivers have carry out policys is that although the fly ash will sink the charcoal floats on the surface and washes up on the beaches leaving an unsightly "bathtub ring" at high water mark.
Most western rivers experience very high use and limited campsites that are used almost every night during river season. Charcoal lasts in the enviroment longer than almost any organic material as evidenced by the charcaoal from fires found at prehistoric sites.
It's really not much extra work to bag your fire debris along with your other trash and it keeps food odors down as well. The key to fire managment is to have reasonable size fires and let then burn down to fine ash and charcoal.
Dsrtrat

Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#20 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I just use an old oil drain pan to hold the coals. As others have said: Cheap and simple!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users