12V Frig Location?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have ordered a Bobcat shell, and will be modifying to have a bench (each 24" wide) run the length of each wall with storage underneath. Putting on a Frontier crew cab.

I am planning on getting an Engel, ARB, etc, either a chest or front opening. I am trying to decide if it's best to have it in the truck or camper. Since I will be doing all cooking outside I thought it would be more easily accessible in the truck, leave more space in the camper, and noise would be less of a consequence.

However, I am getting a Fantastic Fan (6600r), so I could run this when I am away from the truck, maybe keeping the camper cooler (thus the refrigerator as well)? If I got a front opening style I could build it in a cabinet, under the front window (it fits, kind of). Also it might be less visible to prying eyes, although I am getting a window on the drivers side as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

I keep my Engle 45qt here -

Posted Image

I would prefer to have a front opening model built into the galley, but I already had this chest style fridge, so this is where we put it. It eats into the floor-space some, but not too bad. It gets used as a seat, a foot-rest (like an ottoman) and as a laptop desk. We cook inside mostly so it's nice having it right there. I debated keeping it in the cab, but I stash our sleeping bags & duffel bags in the backseat of the truck, so that area is mostly full already.

For cooking outside, with a 4 door truck, I would put it in the cab. Much easier to pack it and to grab stuff with it in the truck, than constantly jumping into the camper. Another benefit to a portable vs. built-in fridge is if you're going to be in the same spot for a couple of days, you can set the fridge outside for even easier access. I spliced a 12V socket into my rear truck lights so I can plug it in easily while it sits outside, which frees up space in the camper.

A blanket will hide it from curious eyes and a transit bag will help it run cooler & more efficiently. The noise while running is minimal & barely noticeable IMO.

Congrats on the new camper!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#3 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

I had my Engel in the camper but moved it to the truck cab.

Attached Thumbnails

• Engel B.jpg

RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#4 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

I have ordered a Bobcat shell, and will be modifying to have a bench (each 24" wide) run the length of each wall with storage underneath. Putting on a Frontier crew cab.

I am planning on getting an Engel, ARB, etc, either a chest or front opening. I am trying to decide if it's best to have it in the truck or camper. Since I will be doing all cooking outside I thought it would be more easily accessible in the truck, leave more space in the camper, and noise would be less of a consequence.

However, I am getting a Fantastic Fan (6600r), so I could run this when I am away from the truck, maybe keeping the camper cooler (thus the refrigerator as well)? If I got a front opening style I could build it in a cabinet, under the front window (it fits, kind of). Also it might be less visible to prying eyes, although I am getting a window on the drivers side as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Another vote here for having the fridge in the truck cab. I have a 45 qt Engel mounted behind the drivers side seat in my Chevy extended cab. If you remove the seat and build a platform to hold the fridge you can use the space under the platform for small item storage. If necessary the Engel/ARB fridge lid swing can be modified to side opening if you have clearance problems. I have seen a kit someone put together that has the necessary hinges to allow this.

I ran a separate 12 volt outlet to the cab from the camper battery so I don't use the truck battery to power the fridge.
I did this by mounting a Marinco trolling motor female outlet on the camper side and ran a 10 gauge cable with the plug end to the cab. Make sure you fuse this wire. I then mounted 2 Marinco 12 outlets in the truck cab.

I have found that even with 120+ cab temps that I never have to go over a 2 setting in my fridge to keep a 36 degree fridge temp. I do have the transit bag on my fridge. As long as you don't block the vents you can place soft gear along the fridge sides to help insulate the fridge. I like being able to access the fridge while stopping without having to get in the camper.
Dsrtrat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users