16 replies to this topic

#11 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Great shots Ted, What a magical place any time of year. Im definitely up for a Yosemite trip soon.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#12 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the nice comments. The roof was only flexed and returned to the regular flat shape once the load was removed. And that was a project in itself. We couldn't reach the top to clear it but couldn't lower it with that load on it. My wife came up with the idea of tieing some towels to a rope, tossing it over the camper, and dragging the snow off. That got enough off for us to lower it and finish the job.

Confession time. I was purposely vague about staying another night in the valley. We didn't get much sleep Friday night with people partying in camp, the snow clumps hitting the roof, the frequent sound of avalanches, and concern about the roof holding. By the time we we cleared the roof Saturday morning I was tired, wet, cold, and not a happy camper. We couldn't get to Wawona where I knew it would be quieter and I didn't want to camp in the valley again Saturday night. So we did something we have aways wanted to do in our two dozen or so trips to Yosemite. Went back to the Ahwahnee and got a room. I was a much happier camper Sunday. Poorer, but happier. :D

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#13 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

Wow, didn't realize you could do Yosemite in the winter... That looks awesome Ted! Stellar photos!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#14 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

[\quote]
Home again Monday to wash the truck and camper. Sightings included a couple in the valley that just ordered a Grandby, two FWC's driving by Wawona Monday AM, one into the park, one out, and a FWC on HWY 99 heading south.
[/quote]

I might be able to account for two of the FWC's you saw. An un-official FWC meetup as it were...

I checked in at about Noon on Saturday and met David in the older FWC after someone stole his space. :( I let him park in front of my camp.

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• feb 2011 yosemite camping 034.jpg

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

My wife came up with the idea of tieing some towels to a rope, tossing it over the camper, and dragging the snow off. That got enough off for us to lower it and finish the job.
So we did something we have aways wanted to do in our two dozen or so trips to Yosemite. Went back to the Ahwahnee and got a room.

Ted, you're three for three in my book.
A: You have a resourceful wife who can get the job done :)
B: You realized one of my dreams, which is to stay at the Ahwahnee (shades of Ansel)
C: And you scored some great photos of the Valley under a mantle of snow (a long time resident on my bucket list)

Andy

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,380 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Ted, you're three for three in my book.
A: You have a resourceful wife who can get the job done :)
B: You realized one of my dreams, which is to stay at the Ahwahnee (shades of Ansel)
C: And you scored some great photos of the Valley under a mantle of snow (a long time resident on my bucket list)

Andy

x2

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

I know the Ahwahnee is spendy in the summer, do they offer cheaper winder rates or just bend you over still? Either way I definitely want to stay there sometime and I'm sure the winter view was awesome!

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users