• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Originally I planned to go to Death Valley, and thought about a return to Big Bend, but the weather looked good and Southern Utah is probably my favorite spot. I don't know about the rest of you but sometimes I have neglected some of the interesting places closer to home so I decided to check some New Mexico sites on my way Northwest from Las Cruces. Being rather Type A I have to work at not rushing off and I was content to get a late start and headed North up I25 to US60 at Socorro, nice cheap petrol right off the exit (147) so a chance to top off before getting more remote and pricey. Route 60 heads West (be sure to stop at Pie Town for a snack) going from 4700' to 7200' near Quemado when I headed North to El Malpais National Monument. http://www.blm.gov/n...el_malpais.html
Along the way is the VLA, Very Large Array http://www.vla.nrao.edu/ Posted Image
Sun was getting low by the time we found the BLM camp, no one else there, nice views, gets a thumbs up.
Posted Image
El Malpais, or badlands, has some nice sandstone cliffs and lava flows as recent as 3000 years ago.
Posted Image
The whole area is full of lava tubes, caves, and other volcanic features
Posted Image

Next stop not too far away was El Morro National Monument http://www.nps.gov/elmo/index.htm
Posted Image
Interesting history carved in the rock adjacent to a large and reliable watering hole, has attracted travelers for thousands of years.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Again we had the place pretty much to ourselves, the week before the Spring break when people start to show up :)
They have a small campground but it was still early so I decided to head North to Sand Island, a nice little campground on the San Juan river just West of Bluff, UT. Instead of taking US191 opted for BIA 12 out of Window Rock, AZ, which was a more scenic journey and a few miles shorter.
Along the river at Sand Island there are several groups of petroglyphs.
Posted Image
There was a couple from Colorado there but that was it. Next morning headed up the Moki with Goblin Valley as the intended destination. Morning rush hour.
Posted Image
More coming.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

How's that new trailer working out? Use it much?
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

It looks like you are having fun out there, Barko. Thanks for the report and photos!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

I got back to Las Cruces just before the weather changed and now am sitting inside while a nice dust storm rages outside. And for my big trailer haven't used it yet. Still a couple wiring issues but the FWC is mostly the tool of choice :lol:

Goblin Valley, I think Stew recommended the trail from the campground to the valley. A little tight labyrinth that would be one mess in a thunderstorm! I left the camera behind on that hike, also can view the valley from an overlook. Cool sculpted rock,interesting that so much in crammed into this little valley.
Near the park, hauling my DR650 on a tough little trailer. Henry Mountains in the back.
Posted Image
The campground had one other person, not a Ranger in site but a number of the site were reserved for the days ahead. They do have hot showers, about the only vegetation is Rabbitbrush and this place would be interesting in a heavy rain.
Posted Image
Then off to Capital Reef, they were not recommending much of the Cathedral Valley road, especially with a trailer, guess lots of loose sand so I passed on that, something for the next visit. Camping was free as there was no water. A few others there and I explored Pleasant Creek road on the bike as well as some of the other nearby canyons.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Heading out I could have gone West and higher or East and the San Rafael Swell and I took the latter. Never really saw the waterfall on the Fremont river right off the road. Serious erosion in the sandstone.
Posted Image
We headed East then North again past Goblin Valley and spent a night by Cathedral Mountain.
Posted Image
This is a tremendous spot for further exploration of the Swell. Amazing trails, road connects to I70 eventually. Old uranium mining roads plus more challenging single track for the bike. I wasn't very adventurous, didn't have the maps I needed and the thought of a back country breakdown or broken ankle etc. kept me on a pretty short leash. Need to head back out there with someone else on a bike. We camped at what I guess was a group campsite, saw a few other vehicles pass by but no one else camped there. This would be a great gathering spot for a WTW get-together. Not difficult access, roads for 2wd or 4wd plus that single track, and simply superb scenery. I headed down the Behind the Reef trail, of course forgetting the camera (but carrying the spot!), beautiful country. I expected seeing more OHV users as it was Friday PM but not many. Much less busy than the Moab area.
Very cold that night, grey water outside froze pretty good, left the Wave 3 on high and it did the job. Next day headed North to Green River and then back South through Moab and down to the Needles District of Canyonlands. hadn't been there for 25 years. Again the Spring break crowds had not arrived. Apparently in a couple weeks the developed campsites would all fill by 10 am. I didn't really want to stay there anyway so after checking out some of the sites we headed to a BLM site heading down towards Indian Creek.
Posted Image
Did find another FWC at the Squawflat campground when passing by. Nice shell on a Tundra with a very nice couple from Colorado. Did some more exploring on the bike across Indian Creek, more superb territory but again I felt a bit paranoid about being solo and with my daughter back at the truck with the herd of dogs. Did come across a couple whose truck had died and helped them get to some resources.

Here is some local political commentary :o
Posted Image

The weather clouded up and the storm was on the way so we headed out the next day. Decided to take the short cut through the Abajo Mountains West of Monticello. A pleasant road but since there is "nothing" up there they don't do any plowing. Thought I would get through but the depth of snow coverage started growing, tracks ended, and cursing increased :( Had the 4WD engaged and was doing ok but slipping would have involved a tow truck from 50 miles away and the conditions were getting worse and I was still heading up so I bailed. Of course it is easier to turn the Titanic than an F250 with a trailer so I dropped the trailer at 90 degrees, carefully got the truck pointed in the other direction, reconnected and headed back down. At least this guy liked it.
Posted Image
The LaSals in the distance, 12725'.
Posted Image

That was about the end of the adventure. Decided to head straight back after breakfast in Dove Creek, good little cafe on the West end of town. Got passed by a Dodge with a FWC somewhere along there :o Who was that! Took the backroads into Pie Town for the last two pieces of pie they had right before closing, then a fast smooth cruise back.

The old 7.3 is just humming along, the Wave is doing great, my Coleman Stirling fridge in conjunction with the solar also does the job. Don't remember who pointed me to that but thanks! Can't find those anymore. September is probably the best month for this area, stable weather, few people, so I might head back there then. Can't recommend it enough, only 660 miles from LA for you SoCal types :D
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

What a great trip, way to beat the crowds out there! That is some beautiful country, might be time for another trip this year.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Nice pics Barko! Your trip report is dead on, southern Utah is one of the most beautiful places in the West. You also picked a real good time to go. The stirling cooler does work pretty good, I bought a second one! Thanks for the great trip report! -Skeeter
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#7 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Very Nice!! B)
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users