#1 trasko

trasko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

I joined WTW a few months ago after picking up an "1985" Grandby and a pair of tripod jacks for $900. I knew the camper was in rough shape (or that it is really a '73 to '75 model) but didn't think I'd end up gutting it. I actually tried to sell it for about 6 weeks when I realized it was a bigger project than I had imagined. I got interest, but no takers so I decided to fix it up and keep it! I've already gotten a lot of great advice from the folks here so I figured I would make a thread to stick all my work in. For right now I'll reference the other threads and great info I got, but I also have another question. I'll get to that in a sec...

My other threads:

Features: The useful and not-so-useful

Total pop-up fabric replacement; Options?

How to replace floor pack?

Before I put in the new side-liner (once it arrives) or do much else w/ the roof, I need to replace the lift panels. The front one is in ok shape; it has been "replaced." I use quotes because it uses a single piece of wood which makes lifting the front of the roof quite difficult. The 2-part action of the standard lift panels makes that last inch or two quite easy while it's the opposite when you only have one flip-up panel. I have to get into the bed and put my back on the roof and lift while shoving the panel into place with my shoulder. Gah. The rear panel is original and after lifting it maybe 20-30 times over the past couple of months it is nearly disintegrated. I expect it *may* have one or two lifts left before completely failing.

Two questions:
1) should I wait till I have the new side-liner to make a replacement lift panel?
2) Is the front lift-panel the exact same as the rear? Same dimensions, same mount points, etc? I only have the rear panel to go by...

Thanks and hope as I fill this out with more information it is as useful to others as ya'lls stuff has been to me.

pics; front replacement panel:
Posted Image

Disintegrating rear panel (from a month ago; even worse now):
Posted Image

#2 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

1) should I wait till I have the new side-liner to make a replacement lift panel?
2) Is the front lift-panel the exact same as the rear? Same dimensions, same mount points, etc? I only have the rear panel to go by...

Looks like you didn't get any bites yet, so I'll try.

1) I don't think they're related operations. I know people on this forum have done one without the other.

2) I don't know. I don't think so though, I will check when I get home but mine is 1991 so ymmv.
FWC-Owning Human

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Refer to Rich's excellent report: Lift Panel Fab

#4 trasko

trasko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:19 AM

Refer to Rich's excellent report: Lift Panel Fab

Oh wow that is great. Looks tougher than I thought it'd be. I've got my work cut out for me.

#5 scheefdog

scheefdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:30 AM

I just removed both of my lift panels(that still original and in one piece) in my rebuild and they are the same dimensions and mount the same way. I found that using a 1/8" drill bit at a slight angle worked the best for removing the old rivets. Any bigger drill bit and they really want to spin.

I'm happy to see someone else doing a rebuild to an old camper.

#6 trasko

trasko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

I ought to actually add some stuff about the rebuild, shouldn't I? First, here are some pictures a few days after I brought it home. The "before" is always a good place to start.

Posted Image

Posted Image
(the broken dome is my fault)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Interior!
Posted Image

From the first post you can get more of a feel for the inside condition. Leaks galore and the rear lift panel is slowly coming to pieces. What did I get myself into? Still, it is awesome. I love the size and feel the camper. Here is a picture of the cabinet / sink / stove / ice box (ex-fridge) / etc:
Posted Image

All in all it was serviceable except for the fact that it wasn't water-tight. The bed cushions were done in from repeated exposure, but otherwise if it was weather-tight then it would have worked alright. The side-liner has holes in several places and crunches when you put it away. None of the tension cords that pull the liner in when lowering are still around.

So, I tried to sell it and think about buying another in the future. I figured with FWC being as rare and as awesome as they are I wouldn't have trouble, but given the season (Dec/Jan) and economy it didn't go so well. I didn't want to take a loss after only a few weeks... I did give it a nice cleaning. That helped a lot:
Posted Image

Still, no takers. Oh well! In an inspired fit I decided that I was going to keep the thing and make it the nicest 1975(ish) FWC on (or off) the road.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

Is that a hallmark decal on the side there? You sure you have a FWC and not an old hallmark?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Is that a hallmark decal on the side there? You sure you have a FWC and not an old hallmark?

Looks like an Edelbrock Manifolds decal to me.  The camper sure cleaned up nicely.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

None of the tension cords that pull the liner in when lowering are still around.

You can get the stretch cord at REI. Use the hooks from a small bungee cord and you are all set.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

Looks like an Edelbrock Manifolds decal to me.  The camper sure cleaned up nicely.

Or that. :lol:

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users