12 replies to this topic

#1 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

My "flower barometer" is my little hill of all California native wildflowers. Situated in the middle of my driveway, this hill (picture taken today) is telling me it is time to head into Wildflower country. April 7 thru 10, I'll be with a handful of my bluegrass musician buddies at KCL camp in Carrizo National Monument. Anyone cruisin' through there, stop by and join us!
Gene

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0542_2.jpeg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Gene,you have gotten out attention about Carrizo.We may just pop down there for the flowers.Any info I need to know?Checking on line water to bring and top off the fuel.What is the weather like? Will you be there April 7-10 ? Maybe we will see you there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Frank, the camping at KCL is free. There is an outhouse there, one of those $200,000 ones you see these days that are made in Seattle. No water, no garbage service. A fire permit is required. About the flowers, it is difficult to find a reliable source about the actual bloom of flowers at Carrizo but I think they should be out soon. Maybe a week or two later would be better, but my son is headed for Germany the 12th and so we will go to Carrizo the 7th thru 10th.

Picture is not mine, but it is from 2009 flower bloom at Carrizo. I have never seen such color at Carrizo, it must have been a great year.

Attached Thumbnails

• Carrizo Plain (east).jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

Picture is not mine, but it is from 2009 flower bloom at Carrizo. I have never seen such color at Carrizo, it must have been a great year.

Man, that's other-worldly!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

Frank, the camping at KCL is free. There is an outhouse there, one of those $200,000 ones you see these days that are made in Seattle. No water, no garbage service. A fire permit is required. About the flowers, it is difficult to find a reliable source about the actual bloom of flowers at Carrizo but I think they should be out soon. Maybe a week or two later would be better, but my son is headed for Germany the 12th and so we will go to Carrizo the 7th thru 10th.

Amazing! I would love to see that bloom.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:49 PM

Gene hope to see you there Thursday.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

I have the phone number for the Goodwin Educational Center at the Carrizo . . . I will post it as soon as I get home this evening. If that doesn't work, the BLM office in Bakersfield is the agency in charge of the Monument; someone there can likely tell you about the bloom situation. I have never seen it quite as beautiful as your photo, however we come into California Valley from the east and flowers in the hills as you drop down from the mountains are pretty awesome. I suspect that is where that photo was taken. More later.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

I have the phone number for the Goodwin Educational Center at the Carrizo . . . I will post it as soon as I get home this evening. If that doesn't work, the BLM office in Bakersfield is the agency in charge of the Monument; someone there can likely tell you about the bloom situation. I have never seen it quite as beautiful as your photo, however we come into California Valley from the east and flowers in the hills as you drop down from the mountains are pretty awesome. I suspect that is where that photo was taken. More later.

The phone number for the Goodwin Education Center at the Carrizo Plain is 805-475-2131. Hope this helps. Have fun!
Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

We made a nice trip to Montana de Oro SP.The waves and flowers were great.Drove over to Carrizo to check out the flowers and the yellows were a great carpet of color.Talked to Gene a bit but we didn't stay the night .We felt the weather was going to get worse and headed to San Antonio Lake,not my favorite place but it was empty and lots of animals and walking areas.Friday morning we left and headed up Nacimiento-Fergusson rd to the ridge top and had snow showers.Figured it was time to head home the storm cells looked nasty.We had a great time.It was good to get out for the first time this year.

Next time we head to Morro Bay on hwy.41 I'll have to remember to bring my dinosaur hunting permit.They are right off the, road easy shot but sure would be a lot of meat.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3379.jpg
  • DSCN3382.jpg
  • DSCN3391.jpg
  • DSCN3392.jpg
  • DSCN3394.jpg

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

[
Forgot the campground pictures.Montana de Oro has some nice spots and the beach is right there.
Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3374.jpg
  • DSCN3385.jpg
  • DSCN3387.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users