• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

We drove down to the Mojave National Preserve after deciding that we wanted to see some sunshine and escape the rain. Weather reports looked good so off we went.

While planning the trip I did a lot of research work and found a wealth of good info on the web.

These gals have a ton of good stuff http://www.dzrtgrls....l-preserve.html

This is invaluable http://www.mojave-road.com/index.htm

And this is really informative, dry at times, but is one of the best pieces i have found http://www.nps.gov/h.../adhi/adhit.htm

So we go into the preserve area via Cima Road on a Friday afternoon after buying gyros at the mad greeks! Our first stop was one of the old ranches on the way toward cow cove. Time to get out and stretch our legs....

Posted Image

I know this guy was glad to be out....nice corral eh?

Posted Image

There we two old Aermotor wind mills at this site. Neither was functional.

Posted Image

the system of storage tanks and water troughs was extensive

Posted Image

There we a number of buildings and large root cellar, all slowly decaying...

Posted Image

We took a break, looked around, and after consulting the GPS we continued on to cow cove.

After a bit of driving through a couple of deep sand areas (did not air down, did use 4wd) we arrived at our destination.

In the distance, cow cove and a lot of stone art!

Posted Image

We camped for the night, ate gyros and drank wine....it was very bright that night because of the full moon. There were no coyotes, no bats, nothing. We had a Very quiet night.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

We had a quick breakfast the following morning and we were off on the hike to cow cove. Total round trip distance we 3.3 miles.....very easy.

Once there, this is a sample of what we saw...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There were thousands of petroglyphs! and no vandalism!

there were some good cactus too!

Posted Image
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

Once we were done snooping around it was time to head for the old mojave road.

Our first stop was Government Holes, one of a numbe of old watering stops.

The trough had water in it....and a lot of bees...it did not look too good to the dog either.

Posted Image

This site had a big cistern, and inside was a plastive water tank, all empty. The windmill was broken and the trees are now dead.

Posted Image

Our next stop was a old sheep herders place, this is Bert Smiths rock house near Rock Springs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

We had been driving east on the mojave road and at this point we decided to head nother into Carruthers Canyon.

We were headed to camp phallus.

We had a heck of time getting into the area due to rock falls and eroded washes...but we made it. Some group had built a very nice BBQ.

Posted Image

The sites namesake.

Posted Image

At this point we decide that we did not want to stay so we headed back toward the mojave road. We passed many old deserted homesteads.
Here is one that Stan will like. its an old six-pac.

Posted Image

there was an extenve number of "room additions" done at this location..... a lot of rock were moved.

Posted Image

very industrious.

i cant image being out there in summer.

Once we picked up the mojave road we headed west backtracking toward Cima road. The road at this point is difficult to say the least. Its a deep four foot "V" so its some hard steering and slow going. By the time we made it back to Cedar Canyon road I was WHIPPED.
We decide to stay at mid hills campground and kick back.

Posted Image

we got in there and it began to rain. the next day we ended up heading home since flash flood warnings went into effect.

oh yes...and check out the cracked boulder

Posted Image

that was it for us. we will give it another go in the future!

#5 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

And one more comment about the mojave road.

it is narrow. a very tight fit for a full size pickup.

joshua trees ripped off my side porchlight lens and smashed the front cap on my awning.

watch out for joshua trees.

Oh yes, there are no cows, no cattle anywhere. Only one ranch remains functional and it has only a few hundred head.....all fenced in.

#6 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Great trip and pictures. Good stuff to see for people still snow bound here in Colorado.

RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the great report! I love those barrel cacti.
I've been in that area long ago...need to add it to my "return" list. But will probably have to wait until another cycle of the cool half of the year rolls around.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the report and photos, Herr42! What a big place the Mojave Preserve is, eh?

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users