Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on the NCO Cajita

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Cajita (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the idea of a NCO FWC?

1. Yes (24 votes [43.64%])

Percentage of vote: 43.64%

2. No (31 votes [56.36%])

Percentage of vote: 56.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Bingo !

Here's a couple of examples : http://www.expeditio...ead.php?t=20822

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48351

:D

Does anyone know whether this cruiser camper is built on an FJ40 or an FJ45?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#62 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone know whether this cruiser camper is built on an FJ40 or an FJ45?

The following was posted on that link;
"The Land Cruiser chassis used in this project is a custom combination of a 1979 HJ47 pickup cab and front clip, mated to running gear from a 1993 HDJ 80 diesel."

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#63 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

The following was posted on that link;
"The Land Cruiser chassis used in this project is a custom combination of a 1979 HJ47 pickup cab and front clip, mated to running gear from a 1993 HDJ 80 diesel."

Ah, a frankenstein of foreign landcruisers - well they did nice work with it!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#64 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

We started off the 2 of us with the ’83 Toyota long bed truck with a high line Snug top shell. That was great and used it for years. But what it lacked was heat. You could sit up but you could not stand up to put on your pants. It did have great views from the large windows.

We then went on to two different FWC units, Fleet and the Ranger. These were great and improved with being able to stand up, have heat and cook and eat indoors at a table. The upper bunk for us was a must to stow all the movable crap from below and back again for night time sleeping. What was a big benefit was to have the cushions cut into smaller squares so you would not have to move all the crap off the bench just to get into the couch storage. These FWC worked well for 2 people and for solo trips had room to bring what was needed. There were things that still needed to be transferred to the truck cab at night.

But what lacked in the FWC was the great view out the windows. Sit on the couch and stare at the kitchen cabinet. When I was closer to retirement my thoughts were to get a big diesel truck with a flat bed and have Alaskan campers make a custom flat bed with plenty of window views from the dinette.

Along came the Casita….Yea I know you have to tow it…But it makes one heck of a great base camp. Great view out with large windows. We came back from southern Utah and our friend with a FWC Kestrel came with us. Loves his camper, does not like not having a easy way to have a view. Face it when the weather is bad at least having a view out the windows is entertaining.

There are advantages and sacrifices to any combo. When we were in the Snug top days the NCO would have been awesome. After having FWC the NCO would not have worked for us(spoiled). Now after having the Casita, love it, but it is not a FWC type camper that we can go anywhere with. But we have compromised by buying a roof top tent for the 4 Runner.

What will the mode of travel in the future holds, only time will tell. But a flatbed, lots of storage, large windows with a view in a pop up design would be cool. So a vote yes to the NCO because it will fit the bill for some people.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#65 jimbo

jimbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread--both pro and con. The only way we learn is to view all sides of a topic. I thank all of you who have posted your opinions. I also thank Stan of FWC for his comments. FWC is to be commended for their innovations, and for being willing to risk time and money to try out new concepts. Admittedly, they are aiming at several small niche markets, but their design concepts make this feasible. I have had all types of RVs over a period of many years, but now I am old, single, living in an apartment complex where I have to drive my truck into an attached garage. The Hawk Cajita may fit my current needs. Yes, it is small, but I believe that FWC will come up with innovative ways to use the limited space available. All RVs represent trade-offs, and we have to decide what we must give up in order to continue camping. I thank all of you again for your posts. Each has been helpful.

jimbo

#66 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

All RVs represent trade-offs, and we have to decide what we must give up in order to continue camping.

Very true.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#67 SBINGER

SBINGER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

Joined today; read all 88 posts to this topic. Did not realize the full richness of all these forum threads .. Posted Image Bare bones entered into my profile .. More later. The "heads-up-4sale" list had no FWC activity east of MT, CO, TX. Customer base obviously limited by prior lack of eastern-region dealers. Suspect I need contact the WI & NC dealers?

Based on lots of study, I want to go from 'Newbie' to Cajita Owner. Does anyone have recommendation as to which other topics from site index I should also follow to inform my design selections? Moderator is invited to move my post appropriately, thank you.

My prime mover is a 1999 Cummins RAM2500 2WD 6.5' bed. With adjustable airbags, a Cajita shell is now the most attractive. I am curious whether many folks have acted on the purchase of NCO designs.

Examples of the great posts are: Stan @ FWC, Ted's #48 and pvs-toy''s #64. Ted affirms my instinct to think deeply about the design. Pvstoy shows evolution of one's needs over time.

The reason I like the 'shell' concept is that I intend only 30-50% double occupancy and primary usage as over-the-road overnighter. Successive use can evolve to a 'tender' of approx. 72"W x 88"L size. Because the Cajita fits in all neighborhoods and garages, I can have my camper always installed and ready to travel. The tender would only be deployed, if longer-term camping is intended. The compact, boxy shape seems both elegant and practical to me.

Zounds..! I just tapped Overland Hadley's profile. My thanks for the thread need to go to a fellow Upper Midwest camper; his location shows Lake Superior North - - - "Gee Dad, I want to go back." Posted Image SHOULD'a joined Forum a lot sooner.

Thank you to everyone.

#68 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Just an FYI

The Cajita Model was discontinued a few years back.

We don't have any plans to start building this model again.

Thank you.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users