9 replies to this topic

#1 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

We are starting to plan our visit/trip north.Any info on the old Denali hwy.travel and camping.also the same for the Dempster.Any thoughts would be appreciated.We have traveled some of the area north of Haines Jct,so info above that area would be great.

Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#2 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

Frank,

August should be a good time to see Denali and the Dempster.
The old denali highway is a good road. In the late afternoon on the large willow flats watch for moose in the willows. Lots of camping spots.
The dempster is a good road though all gravel. Make sure you have good tires, with the heaviest load range is best.
The only services on the highway are at Eagle plains about half way. Camp wherever you want. There is a campground at Toombstone and another creek that escapes my memory right now. the scenery really changes once you climb up past the Toombstone campsite. There is a new visitor centre at toombstone.
You should be able to see some caribou further up north of the arctic circle. Have a good set of binnoculars.
If you need a shower or do laundry etc give us a call. Send me a PM, if you want.
robbie

#3 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

Frank,
Camp wherever you want. There is a campground at Toombstone and another creek that escapes my memory right now.

I think the other camping areas are "Engineer Creek" and "Rock River". Engineer Creek has a nice screened room if you need to get out and the skeeters are biting.

A really great book is "Canada's Western Arctic". You can buy it on Amazon but I like to buy books from this nice shop in Dawson City on the Yukon. You'll be supporting those that live in the area you are visiting: http://www.yukonbook...?productid=2248

Bring chains whether you have 4wd or not. It is the law in Canada and good advice. Take your time, enjoy the sites. The Dempster is one of my favorite places.

Here's a road log: http://explorenorth....ter-photos.html

I've mentioned this youtube before, it's a good one about the Dempster:

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#4 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

I have been up the Dempster at least 15 times from September to January over the years. Never needed chains, never had them with us. Only vehicles that require chains are long haul trucks not private vehicles.
Yes the other camp spots are rock creek and Engineer crk, and you can stop anywhere you want.

Robbie

#5 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

I guess chains must be BC law, I thought it was all of Canada. The reason I recommended chains to Frank is that I think he has a 2wd truck. I have seen heavy snow on the Dempster even in summer.

I have never done the Robert Campbell Hwy but this site has nice pictures from there: http://suethomas.ca/CampbellHwy.html

This is a great site for info around Inuvik: http://inuvikphotos.ca/

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#6 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

You are correct about the snow. temperature here this morning is 26 degrees F. The Robert Campbell in that section the picture shows looks very different now, there will be more construction this summer. I drive the Robert Campbell from Watson Lake to Faro return 450 miles usually every 6 weeks or so. More often in the summer, Lots of fishing along the way in the streams and lakes right by the road. A good trip is to go up the Cambpell and come out just north of Carmacks then up to Dawson (Dempster) then over to Tok on the Top of the World Highway and come back down the alaska Highway.
robbie

#7 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

You are correct about the snow. temperature here this morning is 26 degrees F. The Robert Campbell in that section the picture shows looks very different now, there will be more construction this summer. I drive the Robert Campbell from Watson Lake to Faro return 450 miles usually every 6 weeks or so. More often in the summer, Lots of fishing along the way in the streams and lakes right by the road. A good trip is to go up the Cambpell and come out just north of Carmacks then up to Dawson (Dempster) then over to Tok on the Top of the World Highway and come back down the alaska Highway.
robbie

Robbie, You are a lucky man to live in that part of the world! I'd trade places any day.

www.generubinaudio.com

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Robbie, You are a lucky man to live in that part of the world! I'd trade places any day.

Thanks Gene on the chains heads up .I carry them at all times even in my 4x4 Escape hybrid.We are looking forward to the trip.Lots of info to look for.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

The robert Campbell is a real good road. Before you get to Faro there are three government campsites. Frenchman lake, little salmon lake and drury creek campground.
You can get on the Campbell by turning to Frenchman lake campground north of Carmacks. Or you can get directly onto the campbell about 1 mile north of carmacks.
stop at the visitor booth at pelly or ask at the Toombstone visitor centre for directions on the backroad to frenchman lake. sorry i do not remember the name of the creek where you turn.
There are plenty of camping spots along the campbell road. Lots of free places to camp. if you see a lake near the road there is a good chance there is access. Just watch for the roads turning off the campbell. There is also the north canol road and the cantung road to go up and explore.
We spend a lot of time in the area. I also travel alost to Carmacks for my work. I can go any time i want. Always take a fishing rod.
robbie

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

The robert Campbell is a real good road. Before you get to Faro there are three government campsites. Frenchman lake, little salmon lake and drury creek campground.
You can get on the Campbell by turning to Frenchman lake campground north of Carmacks. Or you can get directly onto the campbell about 1 mile north of carmacks.
stop at the visitor booth at pelly or ask at the Toombstone visitor centre for directions on the backroad to frenchman lake. sorry i do not remember the name of the creek where you turn.
There are plenty of camping spots along the campbell road. Lots of free places to camp. if you see a lake near the road there is a good chance there is access. Just watch for the roads turning off the campbell. There is also the north canol road and the cantung road to go up and explore.
We spend a lot of time in the area. I also travel alost to Carmacks for my work. I can go any time i want. Always take a fishing rod.
robbie

Thanks Barry.I better be ready to do some good fishing along the Campbell.Thanks for the info.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users