• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jmontesi

jmontesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hello everybody, I am about to join the club and put in an order with ATC for a new Bobcat shell. I am deciding on options to add to the shell and wanted to ask the group about some specific options.

I am definitely going to add a power roof vent, couch/bed on passenger side, the luggage/boat rack, mechanical jacks, clear sider for screen door, and 12 volt outlet.

I am on the fence about the furnace, fridge, and large window on driver side.

For the furnace, I don't intend on doing too much cold weather camping and thought I could get away with a good catalytic propane heater - ATC told me that these days much more efficient tent/catalytic heaters are available as a cheaper option and you don't have to worry about gas/air quality as much...

The large driver side window seems like a great idea to see the scenery, provide air flow, and feel less claustrophobic, but it is an expensive option and lets more light in and more hot air in on hot days, warm air out on cold nights.

I would greatly appreciate any comments as you guys are the true experts!!

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Catalytic is up to you, read around.

Fridge: I'd not bother with a 3-way on a new install and would instead pursue a 12V compressor fridge personally (whether factor installed or done later).

Driver side window: Think about how you'll use your rig. When pop'd up the soft side windows let in a lot of light. When down are you going to have your rig configured to allow clear light in? Why not have the couch/bed on the driver side so you can look out the stock passenger window? I can tell you from experience you'll likely hardly open that one at all with the couch on that side which turns you away from it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hello everybody, I am about to join the club and put in an order with ATC for a new Bobcat shell. I am deciding on options to add to the shell and wanted to ask the group about some specific options.

I am definitely going to add a power roof vent, couch/bed on passenger side, the luggage/boat rack, mechanical jacks, clear sider for screen door, and 12 volt outlet.

For the furnace, I don't intend on doing too much cold weather camping and thought I could get away with a good catalytic propane heater - ATC told me that these days much more efficient tent/catalytic heaters are available as a cheaper option and you don't have to worry about gas/air quality as much...

The large driver side window seems like a great idea to see the scenery, provide air flow, and feel less claustrophobic, but it is an expensive option and lets more light in and more hot air in on hot days, warm air out on cold nights.

The installed heater is great on cold mornings,to just reach over and flip on the thermostat no muss no fuss.But they do take up room.Since we don't use the heater at night, to me I can't see finding a place to store it.It's just more convenient to have the built in. Look into solar and on on board battery.As for the fridge there are 12v ones like the Edge Star.Check out threads about it.Seems like the driver side window could be useless.The couch/bed on that side makes sense
.I have a bobcat and really like the 4" extra width and the longer cab over.We don't have to carry the extra cushions as we sleep across the camper.The roof rack is useful as is the fantastic fan.
You will like working with Marty and Jeff they are a great crew.Ask a lot of questions and tell them your needs and ideas,they are easy to work with.Things like the screen door and clear slider I think are no cost.At least they were on my full out bobcat.You might look into the roof lifters mounted on the out side.Those you can add yourself later,but they sure make a difference raising and lowering the roof.

Hope this helps

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi,
Give me a call. I think I can answer all your questions and provide you with some options as well. My number is below on the signature block and you can call at your convenience.
Jay

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Jeff should... "talk you out of" the clear slider for the rear door.
He told me you can't clearly see through the clear slider.
He's got a neat screen door modification of cutting down the black, door handle, slider cover and extending the "screen" to fill in the space.
Works great, I can see very clearly out the back when driving (sorry, I've got the rear window inside cover on in this photo).

Here's what it looks like...

Posted Image

And a Close up...

Posted Image

BTW, I wanted the way the door swings open to be changed and ATC could do that for me.
It opens and people exit towards the passenger side of the truck, not into the road way.
However, that mod took a few weeks to be made at the place where they get the doors made.
No extra cost, nice!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not that tall of a guy, but I got the extra height added to the side material and the lifter panels (Marty says Don doesn't like to do 'em, but he does do them), not so much for standing up, but for the extra room while in the overcab bed. It's amazing how much 4" in additional height makes it feel a lot more open or larger when I'm waking up, or going to sleep, or reading in the sack. It does cost more.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

And, in the daytime I get plenty of light from...

I) the two roof vents, 1) in front, the metal unit from ATC, open and it let's in a lot of light, or when closed I can make it nice and dark in the overcab bed, both day & night with a cross camper curtain, and 2) in the rear position, the fantastic fan with the smoke transparent dome, open or closed it let's in a fair amount of light, even when parked in the shade. BTW, get the 12 speed fantastic fan, it's so quiet on the lower speeds, might only come with the remote control, I'm not sure.

AND,

II) the four windows in the side material also let in a lot of light. So, much light, very nice. And, the idea that I'd like to have some privacy at night, that I only have the front slider window and the rear door window (no hardside, side windows in my Bobcat shell). If I want to see out, I'm probably already standing or in the overcab bed and will look out the side material windows. And, while digital cameras can compensate for low light levels, the photos above are just with the side material windows opened.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't plan on spending much time inside the camper doing anything, "doing stuff is for outdoors" (didn't Edward Abbey say something like that?), and I'm mostly a fair weather camper, so, no couch for me. Now for my owner built interior, you'll just have to wait until I'm finished for those details to come out.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Voice from the clouds... Get the gas shocks installed at ATC.

#6 jmontesi

jmontesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hey Alley cat, just talked to Jeff. He said the extended height only gives you 2 extra inches, not 4 inches. I must admit, I am concerned with how much room there is over the bed - I don't like sleeping in tight places....Jeff said the opening is about 25" and the extension would only go to 27"....

Anybody else have concerns with how much room is above the bed???

Thanks!!

#7 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

OK.

Man I thought I paid for 4", story of my life...

#8 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Replace the modified black slider with 1/8" plex and you can see through the whole thing, very easy to do.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#9 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

Ah, one more thing came to mind...

Are you going to build in any of the interior?

Jeff mentioned that it would be better to leave off the carpet in the "below truck bed" area (where the plywood is), as it would be easier to screw into without the carpet there and you'd get a better mounting surface without the carpet.

#10 jmontesi

jmontesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:26 AM

Not sure if I am going to build much inside besides a storage cabinet of some sort?...kinda want the space as of now but will wait and see when I get the shell, but thanks for the tip.

So far I am getting the Bobcat shell with mechanical jacks, power roof vent, luggage/boat rack, aux batt system, couch/bed, large driver side window, and 12V outlet. I don't plan on spending anytime in the camper either besides reading/sleeping or if rainy/buggy - that is why I am just going shell and not full blown camper. I have a wife, young daughter and a dog, so need space with comfortable sleeping option other than a tent.

I am opting out of the furnace and going with a Buddy heater. Anybody use the Buddy heaters? I was thinking of the Portable Buddy (4k and 9K BTU/hr) heats up to 200 sq ft or Big Buddy heats 400 sq ft (4k, 9k or 18k Btu/hr). Anybody use those, have any opinions?

Last thing I am considering is getting the extra height added to the side material and lifter panels as Alley cat suggested...Jeff said there is about 25" of room above the bed - that seems tight. Did anybody out there get the extra height added - worth the money?? Jeff says 2" for $250...

I also am not going to get the roof lifting gas struts...I know they would probably be nice but I am young and need to 'rough it' a little.

Thanks everyone for all your help - still looking for info on the buddy heaters and the extra height added to side material for more room while sleeping. I am slightly worried about feeling tight while in the bed.

THanks everyone for posting again!! Very excited to pull the trigger on my order just want to make sure I am making the right calls on options and I live in Arcata (5 hours from Sacramento) so I am buying it without seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users