122 replies to this topic

#61 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

This looks very practical. I hardly ever use my table (in my Palomino) as it is such a pain in the rear to work around and the "bum scoot" is really annoying. Fortunately I have no Littlees to deal with but I do have lots of rubbish.

Yep, that's why after 6 years of suffering I decided it'd be worth the Lagun's high price to avoid that pain.
And I enjoyed the Australianese of the video, too. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#62 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

MarkBC - Would love to check your table out, either before install or post if you are in the neighborhood. Did you get the round one or the rectangle?

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#63 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

MarkBC - Would love to check your table out, either before install or post if you are in the neighborhood. Did you get the round one or the rectangle?

I didn't get the table top at all -- just the aluminum bracket hardware parts. I've removed the pedestal-mount hardware from the stock FWC table (progress!) and am going to attach that tabletop to the Lagun hardware.

I'll bring my rig by your place in a day or two (whenever I'm done) for you to check it out in person.
And I'll post photos here for others who are interested.

#64 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

OK, I have it installed...for now anyway. I may move it a few inches...Posted Image

Anyway...I decided to install the mount-bracket as close to the cab-end of the couch as possible.
_DSC3725.jpg

Hardware, is included, of course, as well as a pre-drilled piece of plywood for backing.
_DSC3714.jpg
The holes were originally arranged symmetrically/centered in the plywood, but I trimmed off one edge to make it mountable closer to the couch-end.

I had to cut a little notch out of the lid that covers the water tank. The table top is the one that came with the camper, now freed from its bondage to the evil pole.
_DSC3718.jpg

Look! It's floating -- without an obnoxious pole and base on the floor!
_DSC3720.jpg _DSC3724.jpg
It's not as close to the cab-end as the photo makes it seem. There'd be room for someone to sit on the short end (as long as they didn't have a big belly).

It can be swung fully over the couch to make floor room or 180° around over the floor to make couch room. (and, of course, at any point in-between those extremes)
_DSC3721.jpg _DSC3723.jpg

What it can't do -- because of where I have it mounted -- is swing around so that its fully over the short end of the couch, parallel to the truck cab. It's too close to the end for the length of the swing arm.
Does this matter? Not sure yet...but it's because of this limitation that I'm considering moving it rear-ward a few inches -- enough to make the impossible position possible.
It can be positioned 180° to this impossible position -- parallel to the cab but out over the floor. Maybe I'd have it in that position for sleeping, so that I can't step on it when I slide down from the bunk.

Seems plenty sturdy. :) The weak point will be the couch/storage-box wall, not the Lagun parts -- maybe I'll put in another corner bracket...

#65 Herve

Herve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Nice!

Did you screw the supporting plate right in the middle of the table top? Maybe if you move it a little bit you'll be able to swing it around so that its fully over the short end of the couch, without having to move the leg.

Herve

#66 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

Did you screw the supporting plate right in the middle of the table top? Maybe if you move it a little bit you'll be able to swing it around so that its fully over the short end of the couch, without having to move the leg.

Actually, I did put the table-mount plate closer/offset to one (long) edge in order to be able to position it fully over the couch as shown. I think I'd have to offset the table-mount too much (too close to the edge of the table) in order to make the impossible position possible.
Tomorrow I'll see how much I need to move the leg-mount-bracket in order to achieve 360° positioning...and see what downside there is of that position.

Where it is now is totally usable, tolerable...but since this Lagun bracket is so cool/useful -- and so expensive -- I want to optimize its installation/position for maximum utility, rather than settle for "OK". Moving it will mean I have 4 extra holes in the side of my storage cabinet, but those can be plugged/filled.

#67 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Tomorrow I'll see how much I need to move the leg-mount-bracket in order to achieve 360° positioning...and see what downside there is of that position.

Where it is now is totally usable, tolerable...but since this Lagun bracket is so cool/useful -- and so expensive -- I want to optimize its installation/position for maximum utility, rather than settle for "OK". Moving it will mean I have 4 extra holes in the side of my storage cabinet, but those can be plugged/filled.

OK, I've simulated moving the leg-mounting point further from the cab -- rearward -- and it looks like I'd need to move it 10-12 inches rearward to make it possible to swing the arm around over the short leg of the couch -- 360° pivoting. And with it 10-12 inches rearward the table wouldn't then be fully over the short leg of the couch anymore.

So...it looks like I will settle for not-quite-perfect. Not perfect, but still very good -- much better than the stock freestanding pedestal.
I can see that if the table was shorter/shortened then it would be possible to pivot it more-freely. But, for now, I don't think I want it shorter.
Or if the Lagun swing arm was shorter it would be possible to pivot it more-freely, but that has downsides, too.

Ideally, the horizontal swing arm would be telescoping...but what can you expect for a paltry $225? Posted Image
Still, VERY recommended! :)

#68 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Glad to see you have it installed. I was worried about the sturdiness of the plywood on an installation with a couch rather than a dinette. When I had the couch it seemed the storage box was not all that sturdy.

Now you'll have to get a table that is 3 or 4 inches wider. I love having enough room for two people to eat and still have enough room for a 17" laptop.

lagun6__DSC_10360017.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#69 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I was worried about the sturdiness of the plywood on an installation with a couch rather than a dinette. When I had the couch it seemed the storage box was not all that sturdy.

That's true -- the plywood is thin and fastened together by small brackets...but placing the mount next to a corner of the box, as I did, puts it at the sturdiest point. I may still add another corner bracket/brace of some sort, as sketched (badly) below:

gallery_2431_383_37956.jpg

Even now, it's already sturdy enough for reasonable use -- i.e., anything less than my weight on it. wink.gif

Now you'll have to get a table that is 3 or 4 inches wider. I love having enough room for two people to eat and still have enough room for a 17" laptop.

My laptop has a 15" screen , so I'm all set as-is. cool.gif

#70 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

...but since this Lagun bracket is so cool/useful -- and so expensive -- I want to optimize its installation/position for maximum utility, ....

:lol:
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users